The dirty business of hospice care

[Permalink]

I would express outrage, but stories like this are just too common any more.

1 Like

My mother was in Community Hospice of Northeast Florida’s St. Vincent’s Hospital inpatient center for the nine days before she died. She received the best round-the-clock care. The nurses came by to check on her every hour, was attentive to her needs, and really just gave her the best care they could.

This article only talks about one hospice provider, yet talks as though this is vindictive of all hospice providers.

There was a distinction in the intro about religious affiliations versus profit generating businesses.
And I’m glad you had a good experience.

I certainly didn’t take that away - the article says that some for-profit hospices are more interested in profit than quality care. Frankly, that’s not the lest bit surprising. The only one implying this is industry-wide is whoever writes the headlines.

In fact, the article points out that 46% of hospices were found in violation… which sounds horrifying, until one realizes that number must include some that had only one, very minor infraction, and that 54% had no violations whatsoever. A pretty good track record for mere humans - but it’s likely 5 or 10% of hospices are pretty bad.

Sadly this story just confirms my strongly held belief that the profit motive ought not be involved in situations where there is any form of ongoing caregiving and an obvious imbalance of power. I’m thinking of pre-school care, elder-care and prisons but many healthcare situations should also be included.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.