The growing war on hackers

[Permalink]

I kind of feel the “advanced” democracies have got the whole digital thing so utterly wrong.

Check out this co-operation on pirating in Ecuador:

The problem is that your average legislator or law enforcement can’t tell the difference between a computer scientist, a software developer, and a hacker. On the one hand, companies are trying to convince kids to get into computer science to deal with a dramatic shortfall. On the other hand, people are being harassed as a hacker when they have a text terminal open. Is it any wonder the average kid just turns away from the field?

4 Likes

At least illicit access to computer systems is not directly physically addictive.

But the trend for video games to drip feed progress (instead of being challenging and creating a feedback loop for solving tricky problems) has at least cut down on one big gateway.

I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for Mr. Keys. But it is nice to see a writer explain how the sentencing guidelines work, instead of just stating the statutory maximum of 10 years and treating it like that’s the likely sentence.

The writer doesn’t mention though, that “acceptance of responsibility”, which generally just amounts to pleading guilty, knocks 2 points off the offense level, and the prosecution can move to grant a third point, as part of the plea agreement. That would make this an offense level of 13, which is a sentence of 12-18 months. Also as part of the plea agreement, the prosecution may agree to ask for a sentence at the low end of the guidelines range.

So my guess is he’ll get 12 months in a minimum security facility. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me for giving server access to a criminal group.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.