The internet's population, mapped by nationality

[Permalink]

Is internet usage directly related to more common quality-of-life indicators like not being miserably poor or illiterate? I’d like to see a map of THAT compared to this to see if there’s any outliers (countries with no money or education that still are big on Facebook, or the opposite).

2 Likes

Thought… is there some map/visualisation engine that could be fed with tables of countries (or counties, or other locations) and their data, and queried for specific combinations, and output colorized and/or deformed maps from the results?

2 Likes

Sounds great. If you find that let us know.

1 Like

I assume that Nigeria is over-inflated because of all those emails from that one busy Prince?

7 Likes

I want to see a side-by-side comparison between nationwide obesity rates, population, and internet usage. 'Cause this map makes it look like the US ate Canada.

3 Likes

I think it has more to do with the notion that it’s a country with some money to spend compared to its neighbors (citation needed), but I like your hypothesis better.

1 Like

Fatty, fatty USA had better lay off the hexagon chips for a while.

2 Likes

Considering how high Belgium’s internet penetration is – and I can attest that it is from years of firsthand experience – it amazes me just how poorly Belgians use the internet. So few business have websites, and those that do fail to post important information like store hours, phone numbers, addresses, etc. And half of those that do fail to update, so even if the hours are posted there’s a good chance you’ll show up and the place will be closed anyway, or that you’ll order something from a (relatively rare) online shop and it will be out of stock despite the site saying that it’s in stock. About 50% of what I used the internet for in the US is impossible in Belgium.

All that said, I think Belgians are too busy enjoying their lives to worry about whether their web sites are updated. So there’s that. And beer. Lots and lots of delicious beer.

3 Likes

And waffles!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.