The most corrupt countries, 2013 edition

Out of interest, what did New Zealand do wrong…?

Corruption in New Zealand? In the last five years? A government minister (since jailed) who traded roof tiling services for a free pass to an immigrant; some driver’s licence officials (since prosecuted) who issued licences to their family and friends without tests in return for money; and right now, a member of parliament facing prosecution for falsely claiming not to know who was donating money to his election fund.

In a more diffuse sense, the general impression that the ruling party is mainly functioning to help its friends out – e.g., saving money by cracking down on welfare beneficiaries while ignoring much larger tax evasion by the rich; siding with big insurance companies while ignoring ordinary citizens in earthquake-devastated Christchurch; privatising public assets by selling them cheap to the rich – stuff like that. We’re hoping to kick these bums out come the next election.

2 Likes

Sure you would! (On a Bell Curve. If there were only a few students and that was the second-highest grade in the class.)

I do not like green grades on maps. I do not like them Sam-I-Am.

How come we don’t get red, white, and blue stars and stripes instead so we can be all proud and everything?

Or better yet, a pretty teal on rose paisley pattern with spangly glitter and unicorn kissies? You want me to ‘perceive’ stuff, you’re gonna have to give me a reason!

I’d really appreciate it if we could get a slightly more reddish shade for Alaska. I think we’ve earned it.

That’s it, I’m moving to Greenland…or one of the blue parts.

Once nice thing about the yellow-red shading versus the green-yellow-red shading for me is that colorblind individuals with a green weakness can better see the map data without the green in there. Every country above around 70 just looks all the same green to me, whereas there are differences between them in the first map.

I imagine red-weak individuals would have similar problems at the corrupt end of the spectrum.

1 Like

Whatever it was, surely it didn’t deserve to be cropped out of the map?!

maybe my bias is showing, but bring back eNZed!

1 Like

Omission from the corruption chart makes Greenland sad.

I’m sure you’ve read their methodology and have specific objections and a more reliable source to suggest.

No?

Rob is British, so he can never get baseball analogies right. I think he was trying to say Somalia is like the Kidderminster Victoria Cricket Club of international government. Or perhaps the Bradford & Bingley Rugby Football Club.

I agree, especially that the greens are so close on a wide spectrum map, but both scales fail the “value” test. They could have been done so that you could scale by “light-dark” alone in addition to color. I thought the original might pass, but when I desaturated the image, CA & USA could not be distinguished by different grays. Given there are only (I think) 7 tones, it should not have been hard. To think I got C’s in graphic design.

:slight_smile: notice the language. now look at the countries with passing grades. that’s as close to correlation as you will find with such an overgeneralized criteria for measuring corruption worldwide.

Got it! Purple, then. Equal parts R & B, either group can see the saturation levels then.

Plus, purple!

It seems that New Zealand has more to worry about than corruption.

How can new and immediate data be revisionist?

Also it’s far and away the best measure to track corruption as there is no way of formally doing it (like crime surveys are better at working out crime figures as reported crime is a fraction of all crime).

There are clear flaws with it such such as perception of corruption being just that. Almost no one in the uk will have ever been offered or taken a bribe or yet institutional trust is at a low point and perceived injustices (real or not, and often one local problem such as that one hospital trust impacting on national trust because of the massive amount of press) impact on it…

Most of the people in the comments section don’t seem to get what this means.

That’s moral corruption in almost all of those points, not legal corruption.

You can vote in different people and change laws if you disapprove of them.

when the conclusions drawn from shoddy attempts at measurement attempt to paint a picture that has no basis in fact. the ongoing history exists. measuring it incorrectly (or inaccurately however correctly) offers the opportunity to misrepresent reality.

did you notice the.org was asking for donations? maybe there is a way to track corruption. i’m just not likely to ever have the opportunity to track the money involved.

It should probably be done with a color scheme that’s mostly steps in lightness rather than changes in hue. See Colorbrewer 2 and pick “sequential,” up to 9 data classes. You can do it with purple for sure, but you can also do it with greens, reds, blues, etc. As long as the lightness steps are distinct enough, even someone who’s colorblind will be able to distinguish them. (I use Color Oracle to check colorblind-friendliness.)

(Further reading: HSL color system, especially HSL swatches – makes a lot more sense when you have an example of what steps in lightness actually mean.)

(I’ve been learning quite a lot about this stuff recently, solving a data visualization problem of my own. As I’m a scientist, it only really made sense to me once I started thinking about it in terms of spatial coordinates. YMMV.)

1 Like

All data from now on must be in the form of infographics so people can instantly parse them and make layperson interpretations of those results. Numbers are so pesky!

Very nice. Thanks, snow!

I rec Blendoku, just for fun messing with the weird perceptual tricks our brains play with color. It’s not a tool .- just a game. Sudoku, but with colors rather than numbers. Comes with color changes built right in so even color blind people can adjust it for play. You might be amazed just how hard some of those puzzles can be to solve!