The new Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/15/406731120/the-women-pull-no-punches-in-fiery-feminist-mad-max

My wife has A Thing this weekend, but I got “clearance” months in advance so I could see this in a theatre; sometime next week after the babbies are a-bed.

1 Like

And damn it is R, I was thinking yeah take the 13 year old boy and expose him to feminist powered awesomeness but now I feel I should watch it once before taking him.

1 Like

Where’s The Donald’s review? (@donald_Petersen)

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/5/e/5e12356b29e229d937f59e0e75b4f45b9acbb58c_1_502x500.png

Trying to find a way to loan Daneel Jr out for an evening this weekend. Already did once so we could go see Jesus & Mary Chain last night.

Used to go to the cinema regularly, have only managed it a handful of times since Jr arrived a couple of years ago, but really want to see this on the big screen.

1 Like

Well you can do what MrsTobinL and I did for a bit which is take turns. Which worked out well for us cause we don’t always want to see the same things. Now he is old enough we can leave him be for a few hours while we go out for a movie or such.

2 Likes

Holy shit. Everything I’d hoped for and more. Absolutely nothing in this movie, as far as I can tell, could possibly be improved (except tired, 45-year-old me could finally use some subtitles at a couple of junctures).

It absolutely is a feminist film in all the right ways, IMHO. The women kick all kinds of ass. Even the helpless ones being rescued are neither exactly helpless, nor anywhere near meek, nor mindless, and they’re not afraid to speak aloud their well-reasoned opinions, whether or not they’re currently aiming a shotgun at the listener. See this movie, see it THIS WEEKEND, and if you can, see it in loud 3D IMAX. It’s the most entertaining thing I’ve seen in YEARS.

Definitely DO. It’s not like Avatar, where seeing it in big-screen 3D is the only reason to see it. This will have a long and profitable life on the small screen, too. It’s just a perfectly-made movie. But holy shit is it amazing in 3D IMAX. And see it with a full house, and count the spontaneous cheers. They’re well-earned, every one.

Take her to see it. Tell her I said she won’t regret it.

Perfect for 13-year-olds. Remember how the Halo videogames were rated “M for Mature” simply because they had a wee bit of animated blood (but no gore, nudity, or particularly salty language), and effectively were just like the “T for Teen”-rated Destiny? The violence in Fury Road is violent, but almost never gory at all. The stunts are amazing, but you don’t get the camera leering at viscera, entrails, severed limbs, and all that Game of Thrones stuff. There’s a wee bit of nudity, but it’s barely there, never leered at, and almost entirely in service of the story (a brief shot of nursing mothers hooked up to a milking device, and a brief moment toward the end with a naked woman way up on a tower, but you never actually get a view of her “naughty bits”). And at 13, he’s the perfect age to take away an important message from this movie, which is so completely in a 13-year-old’s imaginative wheelhouse: that women are naturally strong-willed, strong-minded, and physically powerful forces to be reckoned with, and that the coolest movie in memory is 100% badass even during the moments where the women are the baddest badasses in the film.

Kids need to absorb this movie’s lessons early. It’s genuinely strange how much we need this movie.

Yes yes yes! Seriously, if Mrs Daneel is even remotely a fan of any action movies whatsoever, talk her into seeing this one if you must. She won’t regret it and neither will you. It’s THAT good.

And no, I could not possibly oversell this thing. Trust me this once, if you ever trusted someone to know anything about Wastelands. :wink:

12 Likes

Would you be able to watch the babbies for a night?

You in Los Angeles? 'Cause yeah, I would. You need to see it. I already have, and I’m gonna see it again, and anyway, my eight-year-old and I could use a chance to refresh our diaper-changing technique. Bring 'em over!

1 Like

We’re … close?

2 Likes

Thanks and with that it sounds like no worse than he has seen in most pg13 films. He will be coming along then.

2 Likes

You will thereby obtain an untold quantity of Cool Dad points.

1 Like

And that I did. OMG that film is amazing. Pretty standard but well done story for the type of film, but the action just keeps going and going and getting crazier and crazier but not over the top for the world setting even though in any other setting it would be.

2 Likes

So - 3D, or not 3D?

I saw it in 2D and it was still amazing. I don’t think you will miss anything for 2D.

And I’d save $2.50

It is more like save $6.50 for me and double that for the 2 tickets so that was a factor as well.

1 Like

Thumbs up on the 2D as well.

For nearly every movie ever made, I’d say that 3D isn’t worth it. I’ve seen exactly three movies where the 3D helped make the experience more enjoyable: Coraline, Avatar, and Fury Road. (And Avatar isn’t really worth seeing on anything but a huge-screen 3D presentation, since the script isn’t strong enough to carry the show without the spectacle.) I have no doubt that Fury Road is a titanic thrill in 2D (and I’ll see it that way plenty of times, no doubt) but the new “IMAX with Laser” projector at the Chinese made for a genuinely impressive step up in 3D presentation. It’s a $19 movie ticket but for once I thought it was worth it. Bright, crisp, immersive, and eye-popping.

If your local Herpes Cineplex has your more conventional 3D where the picture is dark and muddy and the glasses are heavy and skanky, then yeah, skip the 3D as always.

1 Like

Donald, I just want to say that your review and enthusiasm for this movie are awesome. I just popped in my new Blu-ray of The Road Warrior to celebrate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, I’m going to wait until Wednesday, and let my wife meet her friend for knitting on Tuesday.

2 Likes