Furiosa: The Mad Max prequel that's worth the 9-year wait (trailer)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/21/furiosa-the-mad-max-prequel-thats-worth-the-9-year-wait-trailer.html

5 Likes

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

It looks amazing!!!

12 Likes

Woohoo!

Reboing

But who cares?

4 Likes

It’s been nine years since Fury Road :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::astonished::older_man:

17 Likes

Im Old Adam Scott GIF

12 Likes

I am so looking forward to this. Mad Max is one of my favorite dumb popcorn munching franchises.

I mean, where are they getting the fuel from? Who is still refining it? Drilling for it? Transporting the crude from the drilling site to the refinery? Where are they getting spare parts? What are they using as currency for transactions? Barter? How many chickens do you need in order to pay for a car? For 10,000 gallons of fuel for your marauders? Where does the food come from?

Who would just ditch a bike in the desert, as if they are still being manufactured? Where did all those bullets come from that were streaming over Thor? How is she maintaining and powering that awesome cybernetic hand?

So many questions, no good answers, and I can’t wait to see it!

Futurama Buy GIF

13 Likes

Since the collapse, the only rule, is the Rule of Cool. :smile::metal:

10 Likes

Where does the medical care come from after hugging a 900F exhaust manifold? :wink:

9 Likes

I only hope that the CGI is less obvious in the final cut of the film. Fury Road did have some CGI too, but it was fairly seamless and the dedication to using big, awesome practical effects was one of the main things that made that movie so special.

6 Likes

I do get the impression that Rictus Erectus was born of fire.

I do wonder what he is huffing through his CPAP Mask? I’m guessing NoS.

Apparently, during the production of “Blue Velvet”, there was an idea to have Frank (Dennis Hopper) huffing Helium.

Edit for spellllllling

8 Likes

My question is a little more basic than those.

Max was alive when the nukes dropped. How the hell did all these changes happen in that time?

4 Likes

Maybe the rest of the world is ok. Only Mad Max land is a total wasteland because It is an Ancap/libertarian/MAGA experiment. Their only way to make money is edgy tourism.

9 Likes

I dunno, man. I’d totally watch Blue Vervet.

IMG_5673

9 Likes

With bears as tour guides.

4 Likes

A way extreme version of the Westworld.

Hungry Comedy GIF by Cocaine Bear

6 Likes

Simple… because people WANTED to do that. Maybe we can think of Mad Max as a universe where the people are aware of media that celebrated the collapse of civilization in the first place and self-consciously set out to make it as they saw… I mean, doesn’t the original film go into that kind of? Like, exploring how civilization was unraveling, and how violent men made that happen?

Big Sky Drama GIF by ABC Network

9 Likes

Fiction, right? The original Mad Max reflected people’s fear of having an atomic bomb fall on their heads. Nowadays the fears and anxieties are different and we have more space to discuss other forms of society’s collapse.

As Mad Max is a work of fiction, Max Rockatansky is free to not age, live new and contradictory adventures and deny everything that came before. And this is very good. Not even religions are very good at following the canon, let alone the poor Road Warrior.

9 Likes

TGGK6Tk

12 Likes

Are you maybe thinking of Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior?) Asking because one of the things that has always struck me about the original Mad Max is what a realistic depiction of societal collapse it actually is - in that world we still have institutions like police forces (as diminished as they may be), the economy limps along, there are pockets of normalcy, but everywhere a sense of corrosive societal entropy. The catastrophe in that movie was social rather than nuclear - it isn’t until the preamble of Mad Max 2 that nukes are brought up. I think the original reflects the second part of your statement perfectly. Mad Max 2 feels like a totally different universe than the original, even if it shares its primary character.

10 Likes

I am there for anything George Miller directs. I liked 3000 Years of Longing also.

4 Likes