Mad Max spinoff film Furiosa officially revealed

Originally published at: Mad Max spinoff film Furiosa officially revealed | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Saw the trailer last night and i’m pretty excited :smiley:

11 Likes

My reaction on watching the trailer was, “I can’t tell what this movie is about at all, but I’m in.” So, the teaser trailer did its job.

15 Likes

After enjoying the wonderful costumes, makeup, outrageous vehicles, and other practical effects throughout the series, I was disappointed to see all the apparent CGI in this trailer. Maybe a money saving move, but it puts me off.

1 Like

This looks fun. I love the aesthetic of Mad Max; right from the original, through to Fury Road.

3 Likes

…she is sporting her prosthetic arm by the end, and we meet Immortan Joe along the way, so the gangs’all there.

4 Likes

Yeah, Fury Road was so well-made that I totally didn’t care about nonsensical plot holes, such as the fact that Max was a former cop haunted by those that he was unable to save following the apocalypse, but Furiosa was somehow only a small child at the time, despite being a couple of years older than Max. If the new movie is half as fun as the last one I won’t care if it makes any damn sense at all.

7 Likes

I think a lot of this is unfinished CG, hopefully it’ll look better in the final movie. Hopefully! But yeah, a lot of it looks awful, like 2008-era VFX. The bullets reminded me of the termites in Crystal Skull.

1 Like

My worst opinion about Fury Road is that Mel Gibson should have been in it because the character is obviously written as a horrible old bastard, but they couldn’t/shouldn’t cast him. And that a lot of the things we love about the movie were put there as a counterweight to his anticipated precense. Without him in it, those things make the movie the inexplicably pure wonder that it is.

I bring this up only because I think the timeline being presented here makes “after Thunderdome, not Road Warrior” super obvious.

7 Likes

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that is all.

16 Likes

The folks in this post-apocalyptic world actually have some surprisingly advanced medical technology. Maybe we can just imagine that the character played by Gibson got his face chewed off by dingoes and he stole a replacement face off of a younger biker that he found on the road somewhere. But under that stolen skin he’s still the same old jerk.

Funnily enough, they actually did take Tom Hardy’s face off and applied it to another biker, albeit digitally and far less painfully.

2 Likes

I think of Mad Max as a live action comic book series, with the same fungible time lines and aging of characters we see in Marvel and DC. So the fact that Max was a cop right around the time civilization collapsed, and Furiosa was a young girl 45 years after that collapse, and then both are similar ages some time later doesn’t bother me. I mean, Peter Parker never seems to get older than about 25, except in alternate universes.

15 Likes

Something tells me you’re into it. Maybe

9 Likes

My take on it last night was that this was more of a reintroduction to the setting and sell you on the movie based on the visuals and action while hinting at the plot. If anything i think it’s better that way, i would rather go into the movie not knowing what to expect from the story.

5 Likes

Mad Max GIF

8 Likes

Wow, they’re really taking this multiverse thing to the extreme! Although I do love how flexible they’ve been with Thor’s character.

This looks fantastic. I’ve been a massive fan of Anya Taylor-Joy since Ye Olde VVitch and if there’s anyone who could replace Charlize she might be the one. Seeing her smear that axle grease across her forehead gave me the squigglies.

Mad Max GIF

5 Likes

One woman enters. One woman leaves.

3 Likes

You might want to get some grease on that bearing. :thinking:

3 Likes

I re-watched Fury Road last month and it really does hold up as a great film. One of the best looking and “real” action movies in a long time.

The trailer definitely looks like the aesthetics is a match to Fury Road. Though I couldn’t help but notice so much more CGI than the previous film. Some of it didn’t blend that well and I am hoping things just aren’t 100% finished yet.

It is understandable why they are using more CGI. I would think it would be easier for some of the more bombastic scenes. But it is a little disappointing when we have Fury Road to compare it to and it was sooo good. (they still used some CGI, but sparingly and my brain appreciated it.)

Still, looking forward to it. As long as the story is solid I am sure I will enjoy it.

2 Likes