Mad Max spinoff film Furiosa officially revealed

Finally, a decent-looking Ghost Rider movie!

6 Likes

I am here for it.

6 Likes

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I trust George Miller…

8 Likes

I was going to say that there was a significant amount of cgi in Fury Road, but it was so seamlessly melded with the live action shots (esp. the stone arch sequence), that it mostly went unnoticed. I was originally looking for this video:

But then noticed that there is already a heated online debate about the use of CGI in Furiosa. I recently rewatched Fury Road and was kind of surprised at how I could see through the “gaps” as I’m usually fully in disbelief suspension mode and don’t really notice (except She-Hulk… sheesh!). I didn’t notice anything on my first (or second or third) watch, which is largely due to the highly stylized nature of Miller’s cinematography, the rapid transitions and shaky cameras and lots and lots of fire and dust to “blend” with. Of course, I’m not a YouTube subscriber, so I’m stuck with 2010-era resolutions. Either way, unless this just gets absolutely and legitimately trashed by critics I’m in!

8 Likes

Yes, they still used it, but it was grounded in practical effects. When effects are done “right” you don’t “notice” them.

IMO some of it isn’t even the effects artists fault, it is the director wanting to do some BS stunt that is physically impossible, or have cameras fly through the action or slow mo explosions or what have you that may be visually interesting, but make the movie less grounded. Other than maybe the sand storm scene, everything in Fury Road felt grounded in reality. It toed the line of amazing action with out it being unbelievable.

IMO this is why some of the earlier Marvel movies work better, because they still had some practical effects that grounded the action. Now when whole scenes are basically CGI you have no limits to what you can portray and it gets too cartoony. Ironically if it was a cartoon, like Into the Spiderverse, the exaggerated action works because I associate cartoons with not being “real”. (I just watched the 2nd movie a couple weeks ago, and overjoyed that they managed to top themselves from the first one. And the story was amazing.)

It really isn’t fair to judge the effects from a short trailer. There were things that just didn’t “fit” with the environment well, but like I said, they may not be 100% done either.

And TBF, if I didn’t have Fury Road to compare it to, I wouldn’t even be making a comparison wanting something more, because it is typical of a modern action film.

I dunno, I don’t typically listen to critics. I did used to like Ebert, he seemed like a fair critic. Though some friends’ opinions might change my attitude. I doubt I will see it in theaters (I haven’t seen a movie in a theater since before Covid.) Like I said, if it has a solid story I am sure I will enjoy it. (You don’t need a complicated story with Mad Max films, just an earnest one.)

2 Likes

In my headcanon the Mad Max franchise and Babe 2: Pig in the City are set within the same narrative universe.

IMG_0693

9 Likes

This film was no exception, but I’ll admit I love documentaries about the :australia: outback… :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that short video. The War-rig truck flip is such an amazing, one-time-only stunt even without the CGI magic; with it, the shot is totally jaw dropping.

Another video about the artistry in Fury Road.

4 Likes

the neat thing was that they filmed the live action with single cars in-camera and used those shots to cgi-ing them (so its the real deal with physics) and to make the compositing into the backplates. and no changes in camera angle. Im completly fine with this technique;

4 Likes

its the best ever made! period! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(yes! I fucking LOVE this movie! leave me alone.)

I felt the CGI was verrrrrry obvious. That was not the case for the last one.
It’s like they said: let’s do it all in Unreal 4!

I bet it’ll still be a fun ride

and I love lindsay ellis essays on it, she is just great!

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed. The cool thing about that video I posted is that it illustrated how foundational the practical effects were and that the CGI was really just used to flesh them out. I give Marvel a pass because they are still just comics in my mind, but I think you’re right in that the earlier works like Thor that had such incredible set design lent credibility to the fantastic elements like the rainbow bridge. By the time it got to Quantumania et al, there just wasn’t enough reality to contextualize the rest.

Yeah, me neither in general, but when something is getting universallly panned and not because of obvious misogyny or other prejudices, I’ll usually just pass. I haven’t seen any of the Snyder DCEU stuff because a) I saw what he did with Watchmen and 300 and b) the complaints were consistent and critical of things I know would bother me if I were to watch them. I’m not about to spend 12+ hrs searching for something of value in them.

Which is exactly why I am more than willing to believe that Martin can pull this off and even if it’s not 100% seamless he’ll get a pass. Despite a few minor narrative issues in the series, they have been consistently excellent at realizing an entire world that is “plausible”, fantastic and terrifying at the same time. And I’m not a crazy gearhead, but damn, feeling those giant, hateful engines and explosions rumble the entire theatre is really something else.

ETA: @DasKleineTeilchen, that first set of images if a great example. Fire is notoriously difficult to pull off, but I didn’t even realize how much of it was cgi simply because of the extensive use of real fire and the obvious skill of the animators. Just incredible and a really thoughtful use based on crew safety, realistic ability to execute the scene and myriad other issues I’m sure I’m completely oblivious to.

4 Likes

and its one of the very few, where I actually and really, really cry in certain scenes. always!

2 Likes

All I have to say is “yes”.

Every previous Mad Max movie writer and prop master:

::: slaps forehead ::: “A chariot with frickin’ motorcycles instead of horses! Why didn’t I THINK of that!”

3 Likes

1 Like

If he had only given Dog at least half the can of Dinki-Di. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Speaking of Superhero fights makes me think of Superman II, which was the very first movie to actually depict such a thing: super-powered individuals whaling on each other in the middle of a city. No CGI used at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will watch it, and I will enjoy it, but I will not go to see a 3D version, because that really affected my enjoyment of Fury Road.