Furiosa: The Mad Max prequel that's worth the 9-year wait (trailer)

Oh yes.

“This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang but a whimper.”

“And as things fell apart. Nobody paid much attention.”

And Mad Max 3 brings a new character that is just the same character from Mad Max 2 but at the same time, it isn’t the same guy…

6 Likes

That said. I will totally watch this movie.

4 Likes

Are you saying that Mel Gibson’s character from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome isn’t supposed to be the same character as the Max from the first two movies? I didn’t get that impression at all…

3 Likes

No, the Gyrocopter/ Transavia PL-12 Airtruk Captain.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that makes more sense.

I believe he had a cameo in the most recent movie as well…

9 Likes

Here for it!

Slippage.

Our civilization is a house of cards built on a foundation of sand.

7 Likes

I like the idea that Fury Road is a later retelling of a part of Furiosa’s legend, and Max - the legendary Wasteland Wanderer, driving the last of the V8 Interceptors - drifts in and out of it, because that’s what his character does. Nobody except some humorless post-post-Apocalyptic Australian academics is concerned about the historical implausibilty of it. :smiley:

9 Likes

Ah, I see you’re like me where - yes, I except the world I am in, but I have questions.

Like in the D&D group I am in, the DM has a world he made called Eclipse, where the world is in a perpetual eclipse. So it is always this sort of twilight. The moon is where it is through magical means, so ok.

But:

Is the world tidally locked? What is on the dark side?

How do you grow plants and food? Sure, if the world evolved to live in perpetual twilight, it would be ok, probably. But if you had plants used to full sun and now have shaded twilight all the time, they would die.

If its always dim, does a bright light like a light spell blind people?

It’s fine, it’s fine - it’s just supposed to be a cool aesthetic and vibe.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Happy Feet Dance GIF

babe something GIF

8 Likes

I love this scene. The penguin not.

2 Likes

Yeah…that was my thought too. The trailer looked more like a video game than an actual movie. I’m still going to see it though.

Magic, how does it work? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

This is exactly me! Part of it is my career which has involved learning about the intricate details of how many things work, and part of it is just inherent nerdiness. :blush:

Edit:typo :joy:

2 Likes

The trailer linked in the post is the one that dropped back in November. The second trailer was just released this week:

4 Likes

:joy: you need to play D&D with my spouse sometime. Or better yet, help us figure out the worst logical inconsistencies. He gets a bit obsessive.

I’m reading a litRPG a friend liked. The MC is constantly making pasta and then leaving the leftovers on the kitchen counter for a day. Then eating them. I can’t stop thinking “why hasn’t she gotten fried rice syndrome yet?! Does that bacteria not exist in this world?”

@MagicFox whenever I’ve watched a Mad Max movie there is a constant stream of second thoughts like that. “wait, what?! No, that isn’t possible. How did the characters…”

I want to see this movie enough to arrange actual child care so I can drag my house with me. I love the focus on Furiosa and not one of the endless men

2 Likes

The second trailer is the one that won me over. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The choice of prosthetic for Hemsworth’s nose seems questionable. Creating a child-slaver and giving him a caricature Semitic nose seems weird.

Edit: I realize that Hemsworth is probably playing the Bullet Farmer, and he will lose his nose in this film; but it still looks off to me.

1 Like

The Road Warrior was not meant to represent an ongoing situation — it was the last fight, over the last thing, before everything ran out

and then Thunderdome was an attempt to answer all those questions you just asked

I don’t know about these new remake-sequels, though, maybe they don’t care about such things

2 Likes

A post apocalyptic setting with EVs could be fun. Gangs fighting over solar and wind farms.

2 Likes