The science of faceplanting

[Permalink]

A good thing to know about John Paul Stapp and the rocket sled/ejector seat testing at Edward’s Air Force Base in the 50’s is that this is the source of “Murphy’s Law”. There’s a great write up of this (shortened from a book by Nick T. Spark) on the Annals of Improbable Research website: The Fastest Man on Earth

2 Likes

I meant to say there, I use this in teaching about piezoresistive strain gauges and how to wire them up in Wheatstone bridges.

I wonder if force is the right quality to measure? The rate of change of acceleration - I swear I’m not making this up - is called jerk. A steady force might be a lot less harmful than a sudden one.

The trick is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the checked markers they put on head and joints of dummies (and in this case Dr. Stapp) are called? I know they’re some sort of reference marker, but i’ve never been able to figure out if they have an official name…or at least what an associated engineer would call them.

I believe they’re called calibration or tracking markers.

A bit of Googling suggests “checkerboard target” or “checkerboard calibration target.” There may not be a single agreed-upon name.

That’s exactly what astronauts do, repeatedly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.