"The short skirt that you chose to wear encourages fantasy" — 75-year-old professor's sick email to honors presentation student

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/28/the-short-skirt-that-you-chose-to-wear-encourages-fantasy-75-year-old-professors-sick-email-to-honors-presentation-student.html

17 Likes

This should have been an email he wrote, so he could get the fantasy out of his own head, and then immediately deleted because he realized that it was wildly inappropriate.

15 Likes

Professor: Your clothing could have distracted your audience by causing them to indulge in lustful fantasies instead of paying attention to your material.

Presenter: What? Who?

Professor: Well, me, for one.

22 Likes

Are we still talking skirts or D&D cosplay?

15 Likes

Where burkas come from.

18 Likes

We could concentrate on the fact she was wearing a skirt AND shorts AND tights and even that was not enough, but really, what matters is that there is history to show he has consistently paid more attention to the attire of women whom he is supposed to be mentoring than their work. And his department knows this, and does nothing.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

39 Likes

This prof would probably find certain fabric choices for burkas as being erotic. Somehow.

11 Likes

Saoirse Ronan Bingo GIF by A24

31 Likes

Is there a specific length of skirt where male objectification suddenly stops?

10 Likes

It’s time for Professor Creepazoid to take a permanent sabbatical.

He’s in his late 70s? He will… sooner rather than later… he will…

7 Likes

Not nearly soon enough. How many students will he traumatize in the meantime? Someone needs to step up for the women this guy is victimizing and objectifying, even though I am certain he does not see it that way. “Boys will be boys” needs to end.

26 Likes

It’s rather amazing and unfathomable that this clueless perv didn’t blurt out something objectively awful, the fucking dipshit took the time to compose an EMAIL and still didn’t reconsider it.
JFC.

16 Likes

Plenty of people are. Something will be done, and then the next incident will come along to rile us up. And to that:

“Boys will be boys” needs to end.

I am extremely pessimistic. I’m a child of the '70s. Ms. magazine, ERA marches, Mary Tyler Moore and Maude, bras burning, radical feminism, Our Bodies, Ourselves, Free to Be You and Me, unisex toys and clothes (“pink and blue” were anathema). Sexism was a critically endangered species, honest — until it wasn’t anymore. It may finally die someday, through a process of two steps forward and one step back, but I don’t believe any of us will live to see it. Too many people are getting dumber and more brazen. Just gotta hope for the best and expect the worst and keep fighting.

15 Likes

The best option is to have the skirt be a cylinder that doesn’t actually touch your body and goes from about 6" above your head all the way down to the floor. /s

6 Likes

Not Funny Seriously GIF by Holly Logan

15 Likes

Citation fucking required, comrade.

This kind of casually misogynistic behavior has been going on unchecked since time out of mind.

That some perpetrators and predators are now sometimes held to some accountability IF there is enough negative attention is but a mere a drop in not a bucket, but in the goddamn ocean.

25 Likes

It’s never “needed.”

If a woman (or any guy for that matter) shows up to work dressed only in an oversized belt as a skirt, it’s already obvious that’s not appropriate work attire, and the person should be taken aside and given a choice to change or leave the premises.

Measuring people’s clothes should only happen if one is a clothes maker.

23 Likes

You’re right - I used the wrong term. It was “needed to be handled”, not needed to be measured. I wrote it badly. It was an HR issue, not a yardstick issue. I edited but left my original there.

Sorry, my head and hands are not on the best of terms at the moment.

7 Likes

Agreed.

9 Likes