The Soviet Union came perilously close to launching a nuclear strike on the U.S. in 1983

Read the Command and Control book. We almost nuked a lot of places in accidents, including Greenland.

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda wondered about just how ironclad such a conspiracy of silence can be, even with men as disciplined as those in the military with suitably ultra-high-security clearances, over such a long time.

I suppose, given the right sort of guys, it’s possible they could take a secret to their graves, or in Mr. Bordne’s case, nearly to his deathbed. Secrets that are well kept are the ones no one ends up finding out about… how can we know about those? Argh…

It’s troubling that most conspiracies are by their very nature “hard to prove up” as folks say here in Texas. When I look at how many things are uncertain in my own life, I see plenty of things I’m not sure about besides conspiracies/conspiracy theories. One thing I do know is that such rabbit holes tend to get darker and more twisted the farther in one goes. For my own sanity’s sake I try not to spend a lot of mental time and energy in 'em, no matter how true or probably true those are, because walking through life feeling disempowered and doomed is a hella big recipe for depression.

1 Like

That was my poor attempt at sarcasm, apologies.

I meant to imply that it is possible for trained people to keep secrets.

RE: The weight of conspiracy though, I believe one Mr. Iain Banks said it best:

There came a point when if a conspiracy was that powerful and subtle it became pointless to worry about it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.