Watch a submarine crack through pristine ice in the Arctic Circle

[Read the post]

2 Likes

As I recall, the historical purpose of this sort of maneuver was to launch ssbns at the Soviet Union. The Soviets also practiced this tactic.

5 Likes

They didn’t fire a missile or torpedo first to break the ice?

In “Ice Station Zebra”, the antennas come up immediately, which makes sense since you don’t want to be “blind” when suddenly appearing on the surface, though obviously reality gets in the way in the way of snow.

Cold War 2.0, how very exciting for the military, and their contractors.

1 Like

Did they punch through the ice, setup a camera, and then punch through again but slightly farther away?

2 Likes
5 Likes

It is not called Boaty McBoatface so is not valid

13 Likes

This was first done in 1958.

3 Likes

Forgive my being pedantic, but a SSBN launches ballistic missiles. The SSBN is the designation for the sub. Now USS Hampton is an SSN, an attack submarine, but of course it can vertically launch cruise missiles so there’s less difference than in the 1970s or so.

1 Like

I mean SLBMs, but mistyped.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the riveting “clean ice off the sail with progressively longer sticks” sequence.

The whole process is typically military… billions of dollars of tech and top secret engineering, and when it comes down to it you gotta rely on some grunts with poles, pickaxes, and maybe a chainsaw to finish the job.

8 Likes

It’s trending right now, which is really funny. But I hope RRS David Attenborough wins.

1 Like

Classic film.

I don’t see Mulder in that picture, so it’s fake.

2 Likes

“That’s…not what I meant.” ~ Jules Verne

“Hey man, you work for the English, you take the contracts you can get.” ~ Cornelis Drebbel

Anywhere, asshats…

:wink:

They didn’t fire a missile or torpedo first to break the ice?

Rocket launches are too complicated to involve icebreaking. Which is also complicated.

2 Likes

The sub is there as part of ICEX 2016, which began at the start of the month. The video is by Navy guys, who have been temporarily based at Camp Sargo (just a patch of ice) since then. Tyler’s got a couple of posts about it at foxtrotalpha:

and

4 Likes

I can’t tell you how sick I am of scraping ice off my vehicle for two hours every morning just so I can go to work.

Take someone else’s vehicle, then.

I like how the slow, inexorable roll of ocean wave propagation is visible in the first part of the video (the longshot of the conning tower coming up through the ice) as the ice sheet is clearly moving, albeit almost imperceptibly.

1 Like