The story of Forbidden Planet's soundtrack

[Permalink]

1 Like

A quite interesting fact about the soundtrack: the composers, Louis and Bebe Barron, were not members of the musicians union, so they could only be credited with ‘Electronic Tonalities’, not the score or music. Also, the film was not considered for an Oscar for the soundtrack.

3 Likes

“Commander, there’s a problem with the robot!”
“With the robot?! What is it?”
"That’s that big machine with the dome on top and the tracks on the bottom, but don’t worry about that now… "

9 Likes

A robot partly inspired by Norbert Wiener’s next book (1950/54), “The Human Use of Human Beings”:

Human Use argues for the benefits of automation to society. It analyzes the meaning of productive communication and discusses ways for humans and machines to cooperate, with the potential to amplify human power and release people from the repetitive drudgery of manual labor, in favor of more creative pursuits in knowledge work and the arts. He explores how such changes might harm society through dehumanization or subordination of our species, and offers suggestions on how to avoid such risks.

Shenanigans! Track #13 was recorded by Krell musicians a half a million years ago!

4 Likes

“I just want to tell you both good luck. We’re all counting on you.”

2 Likes

i saw this this year at the black rock bijou at burning man. it was a perfect way to see it – granted, the sound wasn’t working, so we couldn’t hear the soundtrack, and had to make up the dialogue, but it was still a great experience.

“Surely you can’t be serious!”

4 Likes

“I am. And don’t call me Shirley.”

4 Likes

The sounds of the soundtrack are remarkably similar to sounds NASA got from radio emissions from the planet Saturn.
Saturn And ‘Forbidden Planet’ Movie Share Music

Every space opera movie since Forbidden Planet has been just a lame remake. That movie was amazing, and even more amazing for its era. Of course, it was based on a play by WIlliam Shakespeare, but he didn’t have the digital tonalities and the Disney special effects.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.