This is the system Apple used to test iPhone software in 2006

[Permalink]

Does that imply that I can plug my old Sound Sticks into the wifeā€™s iPhone?

Iā€™m pretty sure I was using a blue & white G3 in 2006, and not for ā€˜simulating low power hardwareā€™ā€¦

1 Like

So grandpa Simpson was right all along, this new fangled iPhone is nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached!

5 Likes

[wikipedia says][1]

It was introduced in January 1999, succeeding the original ā€œbeigeā€ Power Macintosh G3, with which it shared the name and processor architecture but little else; it was discontinued in favor of the Power Mac G4 line in August 1999.

You poor thingā€¦
[1]: Power Macintosh G3 - Wikipedia

Yeah, it was a pretty old computer by that point. I replaced it with a first-gen core 2 duo iMac, which Google tells me came out in late 2006.

Funny thing is, it was still much faster and more responsive than my much newer computer at work - from pressing the power button to reading my first email message was pretty quick. At work, using what the specs would have suggested was a reasonably powerful 2004 or 2005 model PC, between typing in my password and the GUI being responsive enough that I could do anything useful, there was a delay long enough for a bathroom break, fetching a cup of coffee, and a brief chat if someone else happened to be in the kitchen.

1 Like

i-thingā€¦YES! Definitely the next product apple should introduce!

1 Like

Sandbox zero has been found.

1 Like

I dunno, Iā€™ve never been impressed with Intelā€™s Core2 line of processors. I had a laptop with a Core2 processor that ran so hot it managed to completely desolder from the motherboard. This was with functional cooling and a clean case. It mightā€™ve been partially the fault of the laptop case layout though.

I am, however, impressed with the haswell line of procs these days. Intelā€™s getting into the TDP reduction game, and I like that.

I replaced a PowerMac G4-1.25 GHz with an iMac C2D 2.66 GHz. Much faster all around.

I meant the G3 - a 300 MHz G3 with 192 MB of RAM and whatever version of OS X it had, ran faster than a probably about 3 GHz / 4 GB PC with the corporate XP build.

I see.

Although itā€™s not really a sensible comparison. That G3 Power PC processors were RISC, and have different advantages and drawbacks when compared to x86 and x86_64 processors. Theyā€™re two completely different animals. Itā€™s also important to remember that every single program for those turn of the millennium Apple machines were tailored to fit the hardware and OS perfectly. Since apple only made very specific lines of hardware, they could afford to use very specific code optimizations, and they knew the limits of their hardware.

I ran 10.5.8 on my Powermac G4. It really showed its age at the end. Somebody at Apple assumed more than one core. I think I had 1.75 GB at the end.

Apple took a while to adjust to the Intel chipsā€™ heat production compared to the PowerPC chips they had been using. Windows laptops with the early C2 Duos makers generally had massive vents and big noisy fans, but that didnā€™t suit Appleā€™s aesthetic. I had the first-gen C2D MacBook, but after they issued a firmware update to cope with the heat problem (I believe it just kicked the fan up at lower temperatures). No problems after that.

Those clear plastic Cinema HD displays were really nice, if a bit bulky. My 24" version was easily the nicest screen I ever worked on.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.