Trends in Chinese mobile UIs

[Read the post]

My Lenovo K3 Note (a beautiful Android phone aimed at the Chinese market, but available for shipment worldwide from Chinese online stores) has an added feature called “Wide touch” which does what it sounds like that same iPhone feature does. But Lenovo intentionally customized Android to add that functionality. I wondered why, this would probably explain it.

The assistive touch thing seems really popular in Japan too.
I can understand it for old phones with flaky home buttons, but lots of people (with no apparent motor control issues) use it with brand new phones too.

I have the K910L – I never did play with “wide touch”.
I used to download the Chinese beta apps from the China-based Lenovo site just for kicks. Things like the address book had several other things integrated into it – something like a china-based yellowpages, a china-based social site that included games. My Lenovo is currently stuck in a bootloop, so I cant check for sure.
My Asus phone has the “indeterminate badge” in settings/etc.

Yup, Lenovo’s VibeUI is pretty consistent across phones… The Address book is a combined phone/address book/SMS/“Discovery” app, and just looking at it now I noticed that the Discovery tab does indeed have the indeterminate badge, with sections for Yellow pages, “Lenovo life”, and a bunch of other things that seem like somewhat of a mixed bag of settings, and apps and just links to web pages…

That ‘assistive touch’ button does WAY more than the home screen button. It’s rad.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.