US Senate IP address linked to Snowden Wikipedia change from "dissident" to "traitor"

[Permalink]

1 Like

That IP has a weird edit history.

‘Circle K International’
‘Edward Snowden’
‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven’
‘Donald E. Graham’
‘Tonga Room’
‘Pork’
‘Samanids’
‘Samarkand’
‘Ruger Super Redhawk’

Is this one person with…eclectic…interests and a sense of nationalist butthurt or does the IP float around between ancient middle-east enthusiasts, followers of pop-schlock inspirational literature, and gun enthusiasts?

3 Likes

The IP block is probably common to the whole Senate, or at least one office building. Let’s hope this was just some low-level intern having a lark and not, say, Mitch McConnell.

I saw this story a few days ago and wanted to share it with you guys, but I had no idea how to do that.

3 Likes

let’s change it to hero

10 Likes

Whoever this user is, they are also into guns. They edited this page too:

1 Like

so now we’re tracking down and outing people who make wiki edits which upset the cool kids?

awesome.

2 Likes

He or she should of used Tor.

4 Likes

Then only the NSA would know who it was.

2 Likes

Contrary to what the RCIAA would like for us to think, an IP address =/= a person.

2 Likes

So, I’m the first to say that it’s sketchy at best, so I’ll keep the specifics out and you can google it yourself…
A quick google of “156.33.241.5” comes up with http://www.verifyphone.com/phone-lookup-reviews/xxx-xxx-xxxx. This lists the phone number as having been looked up by that ip address. A search of the owner’s name is quickly associated with what seems to be a relative’s name who happens to be a congressional page (http://www.legistorm.com/person/bio/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.h…). Pretty easy to see from there which office she works for. Of course, who knows how many people share that ip.

2 Likes

are you suggesting that the edit was made by a committee of people, using a LAN-full of computers sitting behind a router in the Senate IP block ?

1 Like

Disinformation? Sock puppet? I don’t know.

I suppose it is theoretically possible. The NSA would have to monitor the entire internet and all their clocks would have to be correct. It’s more likely that we are dealing with game theory here. Tor worked for Snowden.

1 Like

Did it? Police were knocking on his door within hours of Greenwald’s article, before he ever released his name.

Excellent trolling. My hat’s off to you!

7 Likes

And in other news, Congress’ approval rating was 15% in July…

1 Like

Ummm, I don’t think you’re correct. Snowden sent him an email in the clear.

Either way, I’m not playing. Filtered.

1 Like

You’re not playing :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m pointing out the fact that other articles here quite recently said that the NSA has TOR infiltrated.

That’s all.

Even if it was an intern it’s indicative of a general failing in congressional culture. Bullshit rolls down hill my friend.

1 Like

He or she might have been using Tor. Do we know that there isn’t a Tor node running at the Senate IP address?

Quelle surprise.