US veterans: Ferguson Police Department’s response is a clusterfuck

[Permalink]

“‘The first thing that went wrong was when the police showed up with K-9 units,’ Scriven said. ‘The dogs played on racist imagery…it played the situation up and [the department] wasn’t cognizant of the imagery.’”

Until someone from the department testifies regarding this decision, it’s anyone’s guess. My guess is that they were perfectly aware of "the imagery "and what message they were sending.

5 Likes

I think the argument might be starting in the wrong place. The “you’re doing it wrong” part isn’t that their crowd control methods are ineffectual. It’s that people have a right to assemble.

Really don’t think that should be overlooked, or can be stressed enough.

15 Likes

I don’t understand why any PD needs to have this sort of heavy artillery or weapons and gear and yet even the smallest podunk departments now have this kind of stuff and now that they do the logic is they might as well use it.

I think the fact that a PD has all this stuff is part of the problem in the first place. The mindset is not to serve and protect it is more like punish and obey. If they were properly trained in the first place Micheal Brown would still be alive as well as others that have perished lately at the hands of an officer who most likely isn’t even qualified in the first place.

I am not knowledgeable about what it takes to be an officer but maybe it is time that police are held to the same standards as licensed professional people instead of anyone that can make it through police training.

The situation with police in the US seems to be getting worse and worse.

6 Likes

In Baghdad they actually have to adhere to ROE.

6 Likes

Wow. Makes me wonder what the rules of engagement for Ferguson PD actually are (assuming they have them).

As a former St. Louisan who ran away decades ago, I got the feeling, repeatedly, that things were not all groovy and copacetic between white folks and everyone else not white. I say this as a non-white person.

I came late to this link but found it interesting:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/breaking-faa-issues-flight-warning-over-ferguson-missouri-effective-immediately/

Baghdad is not the only comparison here… Ukraine, anyone?

This.

There is NO police task for which an M4 is, in any way, useful. None. It cannot contribute to policing. It CAN contribute to the needless death of civilians.

Owning assault rifles should be considered proof in court, in and of itself, that the police department is not competent to do its job.

I was an HM2 in Nam.
While it was customary to be shot at and often hit while doing my job, I wouldn’t expect it to happen RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA if I was trying to attend to anyone shot by these out of control cops.
Yet, THAT is exactly what they seem to really and truly want to do to everyone.

1 Like

War on black Americans by thugs in blue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.