USB recharger battery that can also jumpstart your car

[Permalink]

Several similar devices are currently on the market, why hype this one?

1 Like

Anything that can source 300 Amps ain’t goin’ in no pocket of mine.

9 Likes

But if it’s USB-based, wouldn’t it output five volts, not twelve, regardless of the amperage?

Looks like it has a switch mode power supply to generate USB plus the raw battery output for car jumping.

1 Like

This looks like a pretty good deal, actually. I might get one for my quad-copter. If it’s really 6000 mA and weighs 7 ounces, that’s very good compared to this Tenergy 5000 mA-h pack that weighs almost twice as much and is about 10% greater volume.

The Heidelberg Electric Belt was invented during the late 19th century fad for electrical cures. Sold as an invigorating electric belt, it had the option of a ‘sensory appliance’ which converted it into an invigorating electric jockstrap…

http://qi.com/infocloud/underpants

2 Likes
4 Likes

This guy makes dangerous engineering FUN!
http://www.electroboom.com/?m=201310

2 Likes

Yeah, I wonder how hot the arc will be when a coin bridges the terminals on that?

Uh, no. I’m fine.

The cable with the jumper clips is removable, so I think the idea is you just keep that part in your car not your pocket!

I have the powerall, which I found out about on this site I think. It can jumpstart at 12v up to 400 amps. Also has USB, cigarette lighter style and various DC connectors. And a flashlight.

6000mAH isn’t a measure of total energy, though – for that you’d need to multiply by the voltage. I suspect that they haven’t found a cheap half-weight battery, but that they are basing this rating on 3.6v or 5v instead of 11.1v of your Tenergy pack. That math works out - that’s a little less than half the energy of your pack.

1 Like

Any nickel cadmium battery will do that. Back in my teenage years we used them in our model aircraft and we used to say you could start a car with them. My friend had a pack of NiCd batteries melt through the bottom of his back pack.

Does it come with nipple clamps? Just asking for a friend.

2 Likes

What’s cool is that the fuse is on that removable jumper clip … so if you need to do some emergency cauterizing, just skip the wires and stick a paperclip in there!

1 Like

Can I be the first one to say: “Uh, no…”?

Fer, ahem, starters, if that little battery pack is good enough, that battery isn’t really dead or, more importantly around here, frozen.

I’d like to see it try to start a car in Win(ter)nipeg, with the crankcase oil more the consistency of crankcase molasses. Yeah.

I was just about to say that surely it would probably go bang as soon as you made that sort of current demand on it, but I think you answered my query - thanks!

Yeah, they don’t really spec it too well, watt-hours are much better. If the cells are around 2700 mA-h (I’m assuming three series cells losslessly converted to 5V), then sourcing 300 amps would be over a 100C rate, which is pretty scary unless they’re using some of the new chemistries with nano-tube or some such high-tech.

Hmm…