Venn diagram of anticonventional objects

[Permalink]

Espionage gear isn’t desirable? But it’s so much fun to use!

2 Likes

This diagram makes zero sense to me. I understand Venn Diagrams, but have no idea what this is trying to represent.

6 Likes

where it says “EXCESS TECHICAL CAPACITY” I’m going to assume there’s a typo there and it’s missing an “N”…

1 Like

Pretty much every item listed as Desirable, Profitable, but Not Buildable can in fact be built.

I actually worked at a Theater Scene Shop and can assure you that Theater Sets, Props, and Costumes are all much more Buildable than they are Profitable.

Some things that are Desirable, Profitable, but Not Buildable:

Gaming
Trade
Math
Sex
Gold
Health
Peace

3 Likes

One might want to reconsider if Sacred Regalia is actually “desirable-buildable” rather than “Buildable-Profitable” in that “fancy regalia” tends to support what many would consider fraud / hoax belief systems used to control, mislead, and bilk followers. Let the Flying Spaghetti Monster be your guide when regarding sacred regalia…

Another item to be considered is that of “Prison Contraband” which might be “Buildable-profitable” this assumes that “all prisoners are bad” and “all prison rules are good”. Yet in many cases contraband is actually “desirable-buildable” for the “prisoner-maker”. One might immediately assume that prisoners should not have contraband of any sort… but prison wardens and their employers tend to create contraband lists based upon additional ways to punish or control the incarcerated, So illicit drugs are bad but then again so are “maker-type” items that bring a bit of home-like comfort such as an immersion heater.

To see this effect in the broadest sense consider that in a modern society infected with the “security-at-any-cost” meme, any technology which prevent “security and intelligence operations to proceed as required” or impede “the control of the governed by those who are governors” are or will become in effect prison contraband.

Sorry: bad diagram. For example all the objects in the desirable+profitable intersection are also buildable. But more importantly, these three category concepts are not conceptually related in useful ways, so their overlap zones are not very meaningful.

1 Like

If you read it with Sterling’s delivery it makes a hell of a lot of sense. Well, enough sense for twenty minutes of good material, anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.