Video: How books used to be made

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Cool, but they did kind of skip over that you also have to print the reverse side of that sheet with the other 8 pages of text to complete the signature (the single sheet that is folded to make 16 pages when trimmed). That might be obvious to a printer, but not necessarily to us who arenā€™t familiar with the process, presumably the audience the video is intended for.

1 Like

So THATā€™s why spines on leather books have those raised horizontal bits! I thought they were purely decorative.

3 Likes

Yes, although with modern, mass produced ā€œleatherā€ books the bands on the spine are skeuomorphism - imitation of the original without actually having any cords sewn to the signatures.

2 Likes

Can anyone else get videos like this to play on the BBS link? I can see them on the main BB link, if someone posts a video in a comment and if someone posts a video straight to the BBS, but I just get [javascript:void (0)] here if the main topic is a video.

I think the embedded video from original posts have been borked for a while. Still works fine in normal posts, though.

1 Like

THANK YOU for teaching me a new word! I guess another example of skeuomorphism would be those fake plastic mullions that come with so many windows.

Skeuomorphism. I am going to try to work that into conversation in the next 24 hoursā€¦

1 Like

Oh, you beat me to it.

I learned ā€˜ascertainā€™ from Kids in the Hall.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.