Alice on a ladder, reaching for a book tattoo

[Permalink]

Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.

2 Likes

Always handle books by their spines. And vice versa.

4 Likes

You’re right, no human being would stack books like this.

1 Like

Beautifully done - but - whenever I see a nice tattoo I try and visualise what it will look like on the body of the wearer when they are 70 years old and living in a retirement home. A conversation starter maybe?

There probably isn’t a single part of the body that will be better for the extra 50-ish years of operational wear, tattooed or not, so why let that problem affect your decision now?

(I can see arguments for/against tattoos that have a shorter timeline to relevance, I’ve no doubt that more than a few people are glad today that they look ‘respectable’ once they put on a collared shirt, if only for employment purposes; but ‘aesthetic value at retirement’ seems to be veering dangerously close to Keyne’s little quip about what we all are in the long run…)

Why would Alice reach for a tattoo of a book?

Always bookle spines by their hands?

Personally, I’m looking forward to my own sojourn at the Happy Hollow Home for the Marginally With-It, surrounded by pierced and tattooed and bald and bespectacled Gen-Xers, tottering down the mint-green corridors, pushing their hover-walkers with the faded Iron Maiden stickers on them.

That day looms disturbingly near.

2 Likes

It might be the hideous jpeg artifacts at work, but there’s something about this image that feels 'shopped to me… like someone put an overlay of a warped 2D image to fit the photo. Nice idea though.

I had spinal surgery a couple of years ago with a good 10-12" incision right along that stack of books.

On one hand, a tat like this would be a cool way to cover up the scar but I’m trying to imagine the surgeon cutting into me while saying to his assistant- “ok, let’s start here at Moby Dick and work our way down to Tolstoy.”

1 Like

I know this will sound sexist, but because it’s about teenaged boys it’s almost unavoidable. They ought to put this as a poster in every high school library, it might encourage more teen boys to read something other than the manual on how to get a driver’s license.

1 Like

All photos on the net are shopped. In fact, the physical world ceased to exist in 2007.

2 Likes

When I see such back tattoos I wonder how they’ look on my back tracing my scoliotic spine.

It might be cover for a long scar from surgery to correct severe scoliosis.

You were right, it does sound sexist.

Because she is a tattoo too. When on skin do as the tattoos do.

You know who cares about what the back of a 70 year old looks like?

No one.

Well I dunno, theoretically other 60 to 80 year olds might be into that.

Helen Mirren is approaching 70.