Video: NYPD try to stop skateboard race down Broadway

Not to take the side of the nanny state, but skateboarding around one of the busiest cities in the world in large groups while ignoring traffic laws and police trying to stop/corral you doesn’t strike me as a basic human right to be defended. There’s a reason why traffic is diverted during city marathons.

2 Likes

Yes. Kids playing in traffic. They all deserve a Darwin award. I’d be all for it if there wasn’t a chance they could cause some innocent bystander real physical and/or mental harm by smashing into them.

1 Like

I thought they stopped making Keystone Cops films a long time ago

Seriously?

Didn’t mean to imply it’s a basic human right… just stating that we live in a police state, that too many people argue about whether something is a basic human right while both basic rights and non-basic rights are steadily eroded, and that I like this example of people not licking boot given the obvious invite to do so.

2 Likes

This describes a large segment of protest marchers as well (your protest milage may vary of course). What do we want?! Who cares! When do we want it?! Whatever wooo-hooo!

1 Like

As a frequent driver in NYC, I don’t find this particularly amusing. I have nothing against skateboarders, cyclists, pedestrians, or other drivers. However, I do have a problem with those that endanger others (or potentially themselves at my cost) because they believe that their own priorities trump the safety of of others.

3 Likes

You gotta be kidding. That was the best use of Yakety Sax EVER!

You gotta be kidding. They did nothing of the sort. What they were trying to do is impossible: stop the tiny skateboards while letting the cars through. Part of me feels a little sorry for the cops here. A very tiny part.

Also, let’s not forget - let’s NOT forget, Dude - that keeping wildlife, an amphibious rodent, for uh, domestic, you know, within the city - that aint legal either.

2 Likes

Why don’t they synchronize it with a Critical Mass ride and announce the exact time of both events at the last minute?

If they were trying to stop the skaters then they would have moved forward and stretched the barrier from curb to curb. I had hoped the NYPD was simply trying to move the run off Broadway and minimize skater / car interaction but others have indicated a more sinister purpose - [quote=“Scooter, post:15, topic:13306”]
There were cars and wagons on the side streets to ticket and arrest the skaters. They did this at multiple intersections. They got mostly out of towners and dumb kids. Everyone else had the sense not to get corralled.
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have said state-approved, ING-sponsored hooligans.

DING DING DING!!

The Koch brothers LOVE you!

Their massively funded efforts to plant and propagate the “Nanny State” meme are working!

2 Likes

George Carlin worked for the Koch brothers?

Edit - Changed to past tense. I still watch his stand up routines occasionally, he lives on in my bitter cynicism.

1 Like

Mistah Carlin–he dead.

I don’t know who the Koch bros are and am not sure what I would think if I did, but I hope I’m free to include a phrase even if someone else is somehow credited with coming up with it before I did.

1 Like

It’s not the nanny state I’m worried about, it’s the namby-pamby state; the idea that we’re so concerned about eliminating all risk from our lives that we end up a bunch of spineless wusses, afraid to leave our houses without being swaddled in bubble-wrap.

1 Like

Yes, might as well slide on down that slippery slope all the way to the bottom. No sense at all in just stepping off it. :-/