NYC police confiscated thousands of dirt bikes and are crushing them. Here's video of them doing so with a bulldozer

Originally published at: NYC police confiscated thousands of dirt bikes and are crushing them. Here's video of them doing so with a bulldozer. | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I feel like I’ve seen this ǝɹoɟǝq …

9 Likes

That’s just a shame they have to destroy them. I mean, resell them over in Jersey or something.

27 Likes

Missed one…

2 Likes

Could someone explain what makes a dirt bike illegal? Are they like heroin, just totally banned even if they’re on a trailer on the Interstate going through New York? Are these ones with expired plates? Ridden by people with no or expired motorcycle licenses?

Most places I know would sell them at auction, so this is a bit odd.

9 Likes

Yeah it seems wasteful to just flat out destroy them. Sell them or at least donate them to a group that could make good use of them in a lawful safe way.

11 Likes

You can’t ride dirtbikes, ATVs, golf carts, or anything of the sort in NYC from what I understand. Only registered “street” motorcycles. These are inner city folks who aren’t bothered by what the law says…at least until their dirtbike is confiscated.

9 Likes

I, for one, am glad the streets are now safe due to the removal of the scourge of dirt bikes. :confused:

6 Likes

In contrast, there are other forms of uncommon transportation in New York where riders aren’t terrorizing the citizens. It’s not really the dirtbikes, it’s the people who flaunt the law. Take away the dirtbikes, and they’ll just move on to something else.

Too bad horses are going out of style in NYC.

7 Likes

A better way to destroy them would be to have NY cops just crash them into traffic.

12 Likes

Season 2 Nbc GIF by Manifest

5 Likes

Do jetskis next!

6 Likes

Yeah, those things are way more dangerous than guns! Oh, wait…

6 Likes

14 Likes

It’s not just NYC either, seems to be every city has this scene. About eighty kids came rumbling by at 11pm on my street last week, running stop signs, doing wheelies, only half wearing helmets, on dirt bikes and 4-wheeler ATVs. I saw a kid doing a wheelie nearly hit a bus a couple years ago, he lost control and veered into the oncoming lane.

6 Likes

Reminds me of the Malcolm in the Middle episode where Hal rents a steamroller just to live out his fantasy of flattening a wide variety of objects. Except this time the NYPD got the taxpayers to foot the bill. Living the dream, I guess…

8 Likes

I gotta say, a few summers back when all the use-public-sidewalks-as-storage-for-private-business scooter rentals got popular, I very much fantasized about running their CEOs and shareholders over with a steamroller.

At the time, I contented myself by throwing those things off sidewalks. Typically into gulches/ravines/embankments. Sometines straight into dumpsters.

5 Likes

I guess their raking in so much with civil asset forfeiture that it’s a waste of time to auction dirt bikes?

3 Likes

This same video came to mind when I read this post from today. Rewatching it, the gentleman who made his remarks in the video echoed my sentiments exactly. Glad to see that there were many NYPD people nearby to fully absorb his commentary. Ha.

They’re a scourge in DC. Relatively often they will gather in groups of 100-200 or more, riding on sidewalks and blocking all lanes of the road. It’s ridiculously dangerous not just to them but to pedestrians and other vehicles.

8 Likes