NYPD cop confiscates motorcycle for reckless driving, then drives it recklessly and crashes it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/nypd-cop-confiscates-motorcycl.html

6 Likes

Karma so thick you could cut it with a knife.

edited to add - and no helmet, so many things wrong with this…NYPD version of “hold my beer”

25 Likes

The most reckless thing he did was to get on it and hit the throttle. There was not a single moment he was in control of that bike.

32 Likes

23 Likes

Proper headline: Bike thief crashes on camera right after stealing private property for joy-ride.

35 Likes

No helmet laws?

9 Likes

Follow up:

Owner of confiscated dirt bike forced by law to pay medical bills of idiot cop who injured himself joyriding on stolen property.

10 Likes

No, wait…

Owner of unsafe dirt bike jailed for endangering police officer.

17 Likes

Pay back comes in many forms. Indeed.

6 Likes

Gang of bike thieves. I counted at least 7 other cops.
My questions: Did the cop have a motorcycle license? Was he insured? Was he cited by any of the other police standing around for reckless driving and other possible offenses.

21 Likes

I don’t think he was reckless as much as too inexperienced with a bike that has that much power. Though why it wasn’t towed for impounding vs being driven off I have no idea.

4 Likes

So the police in US can just confiscate vehicles without court order?

7 Likes

Oh there is a ton of stuff they can do to confiscate private property with out due process.

8 Likes
8 Likes

We have some fun loopholes. In effect, they can. It may be later returned when the court orders it but the cop suffers no consequences for the initial theft.

8 Likes

Getting on the bike when he wasn’t able to control it was a reckless act.

15 Likes

Hold my badge.

15 Likes

I’m guessing it wasn’t confiscated because of reckless driving, but because it wasn’t remotely street legal in the first place. (Because it’s a “dirt bike,” not a motorcycle.) No one should have been driving it on city streets.

So a dirt bike that was being driven illegally was possibly destroyed it in a crash, making an idiot cop look like an idiot in the process - in other words, it’s all good.

Well, when it’s a vehicle that shouldn’t be on city streets to begin with…

3 Likes

Does it need more than lights/signals?

If only!

It would be like “Hey, I’m about to do something that demonstrates I am utterly unfit to wield the authority this badge grants me.”

3 Likes