NYPD cop confiscates motorcycle for reckless driving, then drives it recklessly and crashes it

Maybe he should have stuck to doing some donuts.

8 Likes

There might be noise/pollution control issues as well. (Plus the rider is going to have no license, helmet, etc. and is usually breaking various laws to avoid the cops as well.) All I know is that New York is very unhappy with the number of blatantly illegal city dirt bike riders, but they still allow them to be sold, which is weird because there’s basically no place where they can legally ride them.

1 Like

Quick research indicates that the NY DMV doesn’t allow any dirt bikes to be registered as a street legal vehicle. Some folks apparently manage to circumvent this prohibition by getting the bike registered as a custom motorcycle, but as it’s a workaround it probably only gets you so much leeway.

2 Likes

Right, I just wonder if it’s more than adding brake/turn/head- lights that’s required to make it a street legal vehicle.

1 Like

He was just trying to show all the kids out there why popping wheelies in traffic with no helmet is a bad idea.

“See kids, this is what not to do! Don’t be an idiot like Officer Steve.”

4 Likes

“Do as I say and definitely not as I do.”
That includes unfortunate, humiliating joyrides.

1 Like

Was it the same cop that ploughed through Flushing last week?

1 Like

And then hit it extra hard while trying to avoid the car coming into the intersection while the bike was already listing to the one side. All he did was ensure it would pop out from under him while he tried desperately to hold onto the throttle. The biggest tell is how he drags his feet as the begins to accelerate. Like a 5 yo just after the training wheels come off.

7 Likes

From his riding posture and facial expressions, I’d wager he’s never been on a motorcycle in his life.

5 Likes

And away we go!

10 Likes

Add running a red light.

9 Likes

According to the Post article the bike was “abandoned” by its original rider (who fled on foot) when the cops tried to stop him.

4 Likes

I tried to ride a motorized scooter once with no instruction, having absolutely no idea how to do it, and it looked exactly, exactly like that. The sticking the feet out in panic is a dead giveaway.

3 Likes

“Hell, yeah!!!”

I second that.

No comment :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

1 Like

The fact that it is a 2 stroke engine instead of a four stroke might make it illegal on the street all by itself.
Looked like he panicked and grabbed a handful of throttle.
All that video is missing is the cop saying " hey guys, watch this!"

3 Likes

But they would have confiscated it regardless, as that’s standard procedure for illegal vehicles like this.

4 Likes

They’re not hard to make street-legal and those bits are usually an option at time of purchase.

2 Likes

Irony is not lost on o… more irony.

1 Like

I’ve got a street-legal two-stroke moped. Well, that was registered in NJ, not NY, but I’m just staying.