Video: NYPD try to stop skateboard race down Broadway

Darwin awards are exclusively for those who successfully remove themselves from the gene pool.

Skateboarding. It is such a crime.

Yes, like those who ride into a car while running lights. I have nothing against skateboards, bikes, skates, whatever. The traffic code is there for a reason however and only children and idiots think flaunting it is “sticking it to the man.” Real rebellion is educating yourself, not behaving like an idiot.

4 Likes

You should probably educate yourself then…

Skateboarding in the street is 100% legal in NYC, and it’s technically where you’re supposed to skate. The sidewalk is what is off limits to bicyclists and skateboarders. What has been known since the beginning, is that if you break the traffic laws, such as running lights, you’re liable to get ticketed. What hasn’t happened before, are the idiot cops trying to corral people by completely disrupting traffic with an absolutely useless tactic. If you’ve ever driven in lower Manhattan, you’d would know that skateboarders, like bicyclists, don’t impede the flow of traffic. Broadway Bomb is over in a matter of minutes, and the only people making it more dangerous than your average day of traffic were the cops.

The citations handed out were for “participating in unsanctioned parade”, disorderly conduct, and various other douchy charges, not traffic offenses.

There are plenty of NYPD that assist the skaters every year, but the “brass” has a stick up its ass and wanted to “look tough”. Thereby creating this wonderful viral video of their complete ineptitude.

There hasn’t been even a handful of injuries during the B.B. over the past DECADE.

1 Like

Respect My Authoritah!

They are still breaking traffic laws and behaving irresponsibly IMHO. I don’t support street racing when it’s a jock in a muscle car and I don’t support it when it’s a bunch of skaters. “Nothing really bad has happened yet” is a poor excuse.

The trouble with most policy is the police.

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.