WATCH: Kid gets new 3D-printed prosthetic StormTrooper arm

Man, I never liked that Kyp Durron dude. But I do miss (much of) the old Expanded Universe.

Beef up the engines a bit more, and I’ll take it as my hot rod!

That’s a close second choice. Perhaps the first, if we take armor over looks and maneuverability. (Thought… could these two crafts be reengineered into one? To the drawing board!)

The supernova torpedoes… if they have a similar effect as fire retardants in conventional materials (the halogen-containing ones work by quenching the OH* radicals that are chiefly responsible for the burning reaction), e.g. by shifting the parameters for hydrogen fusion off the usual range so the star core no longer can burn the fuel and the radiation pressure is no longer counteracting the gravity… could that actually work? My nuclear physics/astrophysics -fu is too weak…

What I loved about stormtrooper armor was that not only did it offer no effective protection against blasters, in Return of the Jedi, we see that their helmets don’t even protect against thrown rocks.

2 Likes

Or worse: “about those overdue items…”

“I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Hwhere is Where The Red Fern Grows?”

I never know what you kids are talking about these days with all your “jive talk” and “lingo”

1 Like

Sadly, then-current special effects technology was unable to accurately depict the gorilla-armed, shambling horror of Lucas’ original vision. By the time the Special Editions rolled around, he was, as we all know, regrettably senile, and forgot.

(Also the film board made Lucas remove all the scenes with Ewoks ripping stormtroopers limb from limb and feasting on their entrails. Travesty! Censorship!)

okay anyway

Why would it need to withstand bullets? Bullets don’t exist in Star Wars.

Srsly I assumed that 'trooper armor is mainly intended to dissipate and deflect blaster bolts. We do see 'troopers fall over after being shot, but you’ll see the same thing with modern Kevlar; if it turns a killing or crippling injury into a nasty bruise and a couple of broken ribs, it’s a win. Impact resistance isn’t part of the standard plan, because stormtroopers rarely face kinetic/impact weapons. Presumably when they’re expecting rioting civilians with bats and rocks, they suit up in something like modern riot armor, but like modern riot armor it’s heavy and bulky and hot and not really suitable for battlefield use or regular wear.

(I saw some interesting speculation once about how surprisingly low-tech the Star Wars galaxy is in many ways, and how they seem to have gone for thousands of years without any really significant technological advancements. Blasters aren’t superior to bullets at all; somebody figured out that funky Tibanna gas reaction that makes blasters work, probably when their contemporaries were still using crossbows, and nobody’s bothered to really innovate since.)

1 Like

You’d talk different if you’d have to carry all the projectile+propellant ammo.

Three most important parts of a war are:

• Logistics
  • Logistics
  • Logistics
    The rest follows somewhere later.

Well, it was notably lacking an internal shield generator…

4 Likes

Seriously though, the earliest Ewok designs resemble a cross between a bunny and a koala. I don’t think they even had arms. What we ended up with was actually the most threatening design. Clearly they weren’t originally intended to be any sort of danger, which means at some point Lucas thought, “I know, those teddy bear things will be the ones to help overthrow the Empire!”
Ultimately the technology in Star Wars fundamentally makes no sense whatsoever because it’s really a mock-mediaeval fantasy children’s series that just happens to take place in space with some of the trappings of science fiction (most of which are direct proxies for fantasy/mediaeval elements - e.g. robots as serfs/slaves) rather than being an actual science fiction series, and internal consistency and logic weren’t ever part of Lucas’ vision.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely, it’s all completely ridiculous. I just find it intellectually stimulating to try to invent the comprehensive, coherent underpinning that Lucas never actually considered.

That way lies madness, I tell you.

But it’s so much fun! Have I told you my theory that space isn’t a vacuum in Star Wars, but a thin, nonoxygenated ether? Since (in Empire) it’s apparently considered perfectly normal to be able to walk around in an asteroid cave with nothing more than a breather mask…

2 Likes

It’s probably oxygenated, too, given that there are giant space-wurms living in asteroids.

2 Likes

I figure mynocks and giant space-wurms are anaerobic. Either that or the ether is mildly toxic to humans. Or maybe it’s just not oxygenated enough for human/Wookiee needs. Gotta justify those breather masks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.