Watch: non-stick yogurt lid

[Permalink]

But licking the yogurt off the lid is the most satisfying part of eating yogurt!

8 Likes

I recall having little pull-tab tins of fruit when I was kid. In spite of a warning not to lick the lid, we all did, of course. Those suckers could slice your tongue right off.

2 Likes

Next: condoms

1 Like

I was gonna say, what’s my dog going to do without a yogurt lid to lick? The pooch goes nuts for yogurt.

2 Likes

I feel slightly yoguphobic after watching that.

scientific ‘innovations’ are cool. yes. but who gives a shit about this? perhaps we can refocus our attention on the global problem of using plastics unnecessarily. I know that’s what interests me. Not trying to be critical of anyone in particular, but this is my reaction. I am less and less interested in things posted online that can give me a ‘kick’, make me think “oh haha cute/cool haha oooh” and nothing more. More interested in finding info or exposure to very real advances in things that address problems. Yes, broad response. I don’t know what else to say. I feel like im insulting my own intelligence giving a shit about yoghurt not sticking to a plastic lid – COOL.

Maybe this non-stick makes the material more readily recyclable becuase it reduces food residue. Second thought, idk if that’s my first intuition. I know tetrapacking materials are thinly layered materials and are a problem to recycle. They’re still trying to make more progress in recyclability of tetrapacking. So, from that, I guess materials that are made up of very thin layers of different materials can be major pain to break down and separate for recyclability. Input? Feedback? Am I alone?

I sent LiquiGlide a question: “How does the application of this material to packaging affect its ability to be conventionally recycled?” I’ll post a response

2 Likes

Not saying this is the most important or impactful science ever, but FWIW apparently products that come in bottles, like ketchup, mayonaise, Sriracha, and many other sauces and condiments, can leave behind as much as 15% of the product that just sticks to the side. So yes, making containers easier to recycle is one benefit, but then reducing food waste and landfil space is another. And just because something has one early application that is underwhelming doesn’t mean there aren’t much more interesting things that could evolve. If someone had said “why are we spending so much time improving the email system on ARPANET instead of solving real world problems” where would we be today?

11 Likes

We had something similar last week. I do not understand why this is being treated like a groundbreaking invention. We have had wax paper for quite some time.

Our long national nightmare is over.

3 Likes

I disagree! I am a serious lid-licker, but only because no yogurt should be on the lid when it goes into the recycling. I open each container carefully, hoping for a yogurt-free lid. This would make the start of my day perfect!

1 Like

What we can’t stuck the to the underside of tables now.

Cynical me suggests that maybe manufacturers want you to waste a percentage of food. A 15% waste translates into 15% more sales.

2 Likes

i wonder if it is non-toxic…

I wonder what kinds of projects could the used lids be useful for.

Perhaps you’re not trying very hard? I can think of a world of applications for X-phobic surfaces. Stents that prevent coagulation or lessen scar tissue, chutes for concrete that stay cleaner longer and with less water inputs, water pipes that corrode in a tenth of the normal time, maybe?

Of course, you’re welcome to go on not caring about advances such as this, and it will save you having to write three paragraphs in the future. So, in effect, non-stick yogurt lids have already saved you time.

1 Like

I hear you. my point is THIS application of this technology seems very lame and trivial, possibly even detrimental.

thanks for that. well put.
I am still trying to gain info on whether the material coating renders the plastic non-recyclable. its a legit question i think- one thats important to ask.

if this ends up becoming a precious technology for use in important medical applications- I think that would be very rad. What wouldn’t make sense is if this technology is picked up by all plastic bottle manufacturers, and it turns out that the material renders the bottle non-recyclable.

Im curious, don’t know if its unfounded, but Im trying to look into it.

1 Like

According to here, the material uses the “lotus effect” to be superhydrophobic. The effect relies not as much on a specific material as on its surface shape. My guess is that it is a conventional aluminium-layer food-packaging foil, with nanostructure imprinted on the food-facing surface. Using imprinted polyolefin would also solve them issues with certification as the material is already deemed food-grade.

Who decides what is lame and trivial? Let’s unleash the tech and then see what it does. No use is too lame or too trivial for something as cool as nanostructured surfaces!

Also…

They brought waterless urinals into the men’s room at my work last year, and parts of the internal surface use the lotus effect too. It’s super neat.

1 Like