Watch this four-finned underwater robot swim like a cuttlefish through an ocean forest

[Permalink]

Cool stuff–it appears the engineers are perfecting their animal-to-robot design process. The robot does not appear to have the ability to squirt ink, which I see as a missed opportunity.

1 Like

This robot is a unique design, all right. The fins are a wonderful idea!

I am a bit dismayed that they appear to have applied a watch-factory-full of Swiss over-engineering to making the fins move, using ten rotary actuators with bevel gears for each fin. I’d try a cam-driven system with a single rod to make all of the wave motion on each fin. But then, I turn to El Pulpo Mechanico for inspiration.

I’ve seen some local university students demonstrate a robot that sort-of mimics a regular fish, with a pump to move water through its body from front to back for propulsion, and a bendable, silicone rubber fish body to do steering.

Stealth water drones!!

Take a look at this racing spider…

1 Like

You are right for a more practical design but this is a research device. The ability to easily make changes to the motion of the fins is important.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.