WATCH: turn smartphones into 3D hologram projectors

[Read the post]

1 Like

You can also REALLY CRACK YOUR SCREEN with one weird trick:

Display this picture on your phone. Wiggle it around ā€“ the screen is cracked! But donā€™t worry, stop displaying the picture and all the cracks in your phone are nanomagically healed. Watch out for some of the glue stains from my first attempt. As always, thanks for reading my comments.

Itā€™s not a hologram. There isnā€™t 360Ā° of display. Even in the video ā€“ it cuts out for most of the rotation.

ITā€™S A REFLECTION.

a parlour trick. whachyawannacallit. But nothing like a hologram, and nothing like a projection.

Ā 

If those three words ā€œ3D hologram projectorā€ hadnā€™t been present, this would have been a pretty cool trick. Instead, Iā€™ve got little chips of enamel all over my mouth.

14 Likes

ā€˜Pepperā€™s ghostā€™, to be precise.

6 Likes

Cool, thanks!

Teleprompters are a modern implementation of Pepperā€™s ghost.

Wow, today I learned that teleprompters are 3D holographic projectors !!!

8 Likes

Actual holograms are rather technical things, depending on interference patterns in coherent light, etc. etc. One weird trick isnā€™t going to do it.

2 Likes

Then a bathroom mirror is a High Definition 3D hologram generator.

3 Likes

No princess Leia sample vid?

2 Likes

Wow. Very Cool. Although Iā€™d bet SUGRUā€™ing the four pieces would work much better.

Iā€™d go for dichloromethane or acetone to join the pieces. Or at least epoxy. Sugru is rather bulky and the joint is opaque. Would work but not as my first choice.

1 Like

Wonder how easy it is to truncate the top of one of these?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/207397119/crystal-quartz-pyramid-set-of-5-crystal?ref=market

2 Likes

Not a hologram. If the projection surface varied with depth it would be a hologram. This is just 4 2d images on a HUD with 4 corresponding sides. It wonā€™t continuously rotate as you move your head within one pane and you wonā€™t have depth perception to distinguish between parts of the object.

2 Likes

Itā€™s an intelligence test.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.