Wendy and Richard Pini's Complete Elfquest

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2014/09/24/elfquest-paperback.html

The Complete Elfquest is a mammoth graphic novel collecting the entire original series, as self-published by Wendy and Richard Pini from 1978-1985. Rob Beschizza sums up what’s so great about it.

3 Likes

you’re a poet

1 Like

Two things:
It is apparently in black and white (the original comics were in color).

According to several of the reviews, the book is likely to have a printing error.

The original comics were in black and white.

2 Likes

I must be mistaken. I have “original quest” Elfquest comic books that are in color from the 1980s, but I’m guessing they’re a second run, maybe the Marvel-published ones? The Wikipedia page is rather evasive when it comes to which were and weren’t in color.

Yeah, the Marvel run was a reprint (and the color was terrible) – better color editions were put out by Donning, Warp itself, and DC.

The original Elfquest was a black and white magazine-size book. It really was its own thing, and there’s going to be a full-size gallery edition reprint of the original art soon too.

2 Likes

So, Elfquest isn’t scantily-clad muscly elf dudes? 'Cause that’s what it looks like.

Anyway, $20 for 700 pages is a surprisingly good deal, even if it is black and white. I wish more graphic novels were that cheap.

1 Like

The price is just staggering. I remember going to a local comic book store regularly to pick up the latest issue, after being introduced to it by a friend through the novelization of Journey To Sorrow’s End. I started buying the comics themselves around issue 11 or 12. At the comic book store the first issue was in a case on the wall for $30. That was way out of my range, but oh, how I coveted it.

2 Likes

That price point is incredible. I’m all over this deal.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, there are scantily-clad muscly elf dudettes, too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.