Where wolves fuck

Another beautiful idiom we have in Serbian is Jebivetar, literally meaning Wind Fucker, which is used to denote a shallow an restless person, a bohemian.

The kids are all tougher than we think, too. And I, for one, appreciate the absence of any Rick Astley/Goatse mashups, please accept my thanks at least!

My son got introduced to the word due to racist graffiti, directed at my family, on the sidewalk behind my house. We’re walking along, he’s four or five and just starting to read, and he says “Daddy, what does fffff-uh-s-k mean?” I try to think of the incident positively, you know, as a teaching moment, but honestly I had not yet planned out having “the talk” with him and I probably didn’t do a great job.

1 Like

Lots of bible-type figures losing their clothes, surprisingly. The article mention “where the devil lost his boots” for Brazilian Portuguese, but I’ve always known it as ‘where Judas lost his boots’.

Alternatively, ‘where the wind curves’.

What? That’s horrible.

2 Likes

A buddy of mine habitually refers to people being “out where the buses don’t run” when their grasp of objective reality seems to get excessively tenuous.

1 Like

Not to be confused with “screwed the pooch”. :wink:

The Tornado Alley?

1 Like

Here are two more Serbian expressions for ‘middle of nowhere’ places:
“Bogu iza nogu/kičme/leđa” -Behind God’s legs/spine/back
"Pizdinci/Pičkovci* - roughly translates as pussy village. As in a village named after pussy, not a village full of it.

3 Likes

From your intelligent posts here, I’m sure you did a fine job. And thanks for bringing up the teachable moment.

I’ve had this conversation often with my kids over the years, under the parental advice umbrella of: “Don’t be afraid of ideas” Whenever we hit one of those words, the conversation is similar – tell 'em what the word means, remind them that they now have a responsibility to know that the word will offend people, and to make smart decisions now that they know the word.

5 Likes

wh-what does it sound like?

1 Like

It’s not that there aren’t topics here that younger people, or perhaps the child in every adult would enjoy, it’s just that there are often topics geared towards adults. BB, to my knowledge, has never pretended to be a “kid safe” or “work safe” site. The presence of topics that could be considered “kid friendly” doesn’t make the site a site suitable in it’s entirety for children. There have been “art” posts with blatant nudity (which may or may not be acceptable pending your family, and that people usually complain about as well), and I think the floppy silicone dongs originally came from an actual topic, not user followup posts.

Here’s a couple of not-so-kid safe things to round things out:
Batman at NYCC
SWAT team murders burglary victim because burglar claimed he found meth
and more…

And I’ve seen so many different incarnations of goatse, lemonparty, meatspin, two girls one cup etc… that I’ve strangely grown somewhat immune to how messed up the internet can be.

Correct. Two very different meanings.

If your kid has actually reached eight years of age in the year 2014 without knowing the word “fuck” or its meaning, you have been a delinquent parent — either by oversheltering or failure to educate or both.

3 Likes

I would say something about adult language preventing the Disneyfication of cool adult spaces but…

Missing the European portuguese version of the term - “No cu de Judas”, meaning “At (implicitly up) Judas’ ass”.

(I’m guessing this being the same place were Jesus lost his sandals isn’t a coincidence.)

2 Likes

Good thing you’re here to set him straight, then. Your kids are how old? Just wondering.

Well, I reportedly learned worse things in kindergarten, in younger age. So he seems to be quite right.

That seems like pretty slim grounds for calling someone a bad parent. I question your logic.

But it leads to adorable viral videos like young Scarlett-Rose Davis: