Who wants an avatar?

This one might look a bit better squished down to 45px.

Hey, thanks! It’s much more identifiable than any of my attempts. Somebody might conceivably get the joke.

Thanks!

“I’m too old for this sort of thing. Just wake me up when the planet’s destroyed.”

1 Like

Hang on, it could be clearer… try this.

No, wait - here we go.

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s EXCELLENT!

I love that scene in the movie. It’s such a Cheech Wizard homage (although, the Hat would have kicked Blackwulf in da nuts). Bakshi was a close friend of the Bode family but was so grieved and appalled by the sordid circumstances of Vaughn’s death that he wasn’t able to speak about it for many years afterward.

Thanks, I owe you one!

1 Like

Any more takers?

I kissed and made up with @AcerPlatanoides , BTW : )

Hey, was this you, or is some kind of server-side funny business going on?

https://cdn.discourse.org/uploads/boingboing/avatars/3a9/fa4/00d03f0fdc/120.png

(There are supposed to be two copies of your av there, in case that makes no sense.)

Notice how the second one is enlarged and cropped? It might have been an automatic thing because of all the transparent pixels, this one should fix it.

The only reason I don’t have an avatar is because I don’t want to use a picture of myself, and I’m too lazy to come up with something creative. Hell, even my username was an auto-generated one from XBox Live when I needed a new user name. Lol.

Weird… I just looked at the .png I downloaded, and on both imgur and my local storage it’s not cropped. I uploaded it directly from the local drive, which I downloaded from imgur with FFox. I didn’t do any editing or translation (I didn’t even open it in an image viewer!). So either Discourse or the BB httpd did it.

I’ll try image number three here now, gimme a sec. OK, the new one’s in. Looks like it distorted the same way.

Er, probably offline now for quite a while. DFSR issues here. The first server2012 service pack can’t come soon enough for me…

No tongue though. Ya tease.

The original image is 120x109, which is not a square. As all avatars are required to be a square, the server will crop the image to a 109x109 square and use that as a basis to generate all the thumbnails.

If you want to prevent this behaviour, you will have to upload a square image.

1 Like

when I made my avatar, the upload was cropped a bit the first few versions. also, some of them would look fine and then would get cropped after loading a few pages. right now, I can see your gun barrel is cut off, I don’t think it was doing that yesterday

EDIT: derp, yeah, what zogstrip said.

i just found these on google. I think they’re fun, but dunno if you’re into a cartoon. the top guy looks weary in the sense of “hung over” lol, and those feet aren’t very cloud-y but we could chop them off i guess.

The first one is good, minus the feet. Haha.

#or

1 Like

Awesome! Cheers.

This pretty much sums up how I’m feeling today. :slight_smile:

you’re welcome! now i have to figure out why mine changed, also… that’s really weird. I didn’t do that.

We decided to start nagging people at the actual time they upload non-square avatars. This makes the most sense and prevents nagging (or extra UI) until there is an actual problem.

1 Like

Haha yeah, I was like “Wow, it’s so awesome that they decided to use it themselves too” :slight_smile:

1 Like