Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

He might be quoting the Bible.

74 Then he began to curse and swear, “I do not know the man!” And immediately a rooster crowed. 75 And Peter remembered the word which Jesus had said, “Before a rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly.

Denial of Peter - Wikipedia

1 Like

Here’s a good article on why super delegates are powerless

However, that doesn’t mean they’ll overthrow the will of the people when it comes to the presidential nomination. Assuming Sanders wins the popular vote nationwide, and assuming the Superdelegates put Clinton over the top, let’s consider the consequences:

1. Sanders supporters abandon Clinton completely, cutting off a huge portion of her base.
  1. Massive protests at the convention, and a party split in half.
  1. Republicans have the easiest attack in presidential election history: “Her own party didn’t even want her!”
  1. The perception that Clinton is fatally dishonest grows wings, and even if people are reluctant to vote for the GOP nominee, an independent like Bloomberg strips away an awful lot of votes.
5 Likes

Dunning-Kruger bites again :smiley:

1 Like

I actually agree with everything except that I’m not sure the superdelegates aren’t willing to burn down the whole party rather than let Bernie run. Some are just 100% corporatists, others have somehow bought into the idea that Sander is a radical who will ruin the country (despite the fact he’d fit comfortably into a mainstream party in any other democracy), others just hate young people and are willing to override their decisions. If they were one monolithic entity then maybe they’d have to support the life of the party, but as individuals I think they can go with their own crazy biases.

6 Likes

True; one conspiracy theorist might claim that the whole super delegates is a ruse to bring down the Democratic party in order to uphold their authority over their “Employees”.

1 Like

Machine politics is like organized crime. All the capos have to line up and stick the knife in, so they’ll all have the same blood on their hands.

1 Like

That article says that a poll from last year of Republicans in Vermont found that Bernie Sanders was tied for first place with the Republican front runners.

Does anyone know what would happen if he did win for both parties?

3 Likes

He’d be the first president that pretty much everybody wants? Other than that, he’d just get sworn in next January, like any other electee.

4 Likes

I just had a thought, while reading this: Superdelegates Might Not Save Hillary Clinton | FiveThirtyEight

I considered this fine effort, and pondered…

The Sanders campaign needs to make an ad of this quality directed solely at the Democratic superdelegates, reminding them of what their party has traditionally supposed to stand for, citing Piketty, climate science, etc, etc, etc… not to mention the crucial point that polls show Sanders to be more electable against pretty much any GOP candidate.

Given that

Superdelegates are mathematically relevant when a candidate has 41.2 percent to 58.8 percent of elected delegates. Below that range, a candidate couldn’t win a first-ballot majority even with the votes of every superdelegate; above that range, the superdelegates’ help wouldn’t be necessary to clinch the nomination.

That’s still a fairly wide range, however. In theory, for example, a candidate could lose elected delegates 58 percent to 42 percent — equivalent to losing the average state by 16 percentage points — and still win the nomination through superdelegates.

There’s plenty of scope for bastardry there… an appeal to conscience, decency, and long-term self-interest might make a dent. And as a sort of open letter to the superdelegates, it’d bring the weight of public scrutiny onto those deliberations to some extent.

Just a thought…

4 Likes

Piketty on Sanders.

In many respects, we are witnessing the end of the politico-ideological cycle opened by the victory of Ronald Reagan at the 1980 elections.

7 Likes

Apparently Killer Mike said “a uterus doesn’t qualify you to be president” but was quoting Jane Elliot…

I didn’t get to make it out there to see this rally and have not watched all his remarks yet, FYI. Sort of a tempest in a teapot, though yes?

Electing Bernie will send a message to Wall Street and Big Brother they won’t soon forget…

Honestly? I saw the headline earlier, read what he actually said, decided I didn’t really think it was a big deal, and I didn’t much care.

But I’d really wish everyone would stop saying things like this, because it really, really doesn’t help anyone. Just like what Albright and Steinem did the other week. It’s just a dumb distraction.

4 Likes

Can’t everyone just sit down and agree that whether you are rockin a pair O’ love eggs (Testicles) or a buetuerus Uterus, neither qualify you to be President. It’s LITERALLY that simple. Seriously, I know just as many dudes (including some gay dudes) as women (inlcuding some lesbions) who should NEVER be president, heck I wouldn’t trust myself as president, and not because of my gender.

4 Likes

Well yes, but everything has subtext. Like somehow these days the phrase “All lives matter” is a signal that the speaker is racist.

I don’t think this is a big issue but the reason the statement is potentially offensive is that it suggests that people would vote for Clinton just because she is a woman - that being a woman is somehow at an advantage in becoming president because of women slavishly supporting women (when reality it is much more the case than men will slavishly support men, it’s just that so far men have been the only choice). So I’d say it was a really stupid thing to say, and Killer Mike would have been better off letting Jane Elliot speak for herself.

Of course Madeline Albright pretty much said that women should vote for Clinton just because she’s a woman. Still, it would be a lot better to just let Albright’s statement swing in the wind since it seems to have been taken as offensive and stupid itself.

6 Likes

The Huffers at the Post say Hillary’s lead over Bernie is down to 7 percent, 49 to 42:

2 Likes

I think that’s what Jane Elliot’s point was in the first place, which is what Mike was quoting… It’s a reference to what Albright was saying. Add to that he was also advocating voting for people who have a genuine social justice agenda, not the veneer of social justice. More on the whole thing here:

http://gawker.com/about-that-killer-mike-uterus-comment-1759762054

I doubt it will cut into Run the Jewel’s sales, though… because Run the Jewels…

2 Likes

There is actual video of Bernie Sanders getting arrested at an anti-segregation protest in 1963.

At the time, public schools in Chicago were unambiguously separate and unequal.

6 Likes

10 Likes

I doubt that they care. This is business and they know where their bread is buttered.