Woman charged with making false report about rape after her FitBit revealed inconsistencies in story

As have I, which is why it took me so long to get past emotional (class)self-protective gut feelings and try to approach it as one would cancer or tuberculosis.
(edit)I now find it really disturbing that everyone pretty much ignored her and believed me, as only I actually knew my own story to be true. It is an anecdote which reinforces what the progressive movement is saying.

You know, when I read ā€œbetween the linesā€ here on the actual, full story I clicked through to - a sort of disturbing thought hits me.

The circumstances sound an AWFUL lot like this was a domestic assault that left evidence and the woman was pressured to deflect blame from the male resident by blaming ā€œa strangerā€

Her report could well be ā€œfalseā€ in the sense that no stranger entered the home and not ā€œFalseā€ in the sense that no assault occurred.

I hate the whole species sometimes.

6 Likes

As far as I know, the device in question doesnā€™t log a personā€™s DNA before it starts recording info. So the woman in question could have left the FitBit somewhere in the house, someone sees it, thinks it looks interesting & puts it on, then dumps it when the commotion starts & they realize it belongs to the woman. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

no, it doesnā€™t log DNA. thereā€™s some theory you could apply to sort of form a rough guess if another person was wearing it - radically different resting heart rate or stride, for example, but it would be hard to established who had it on or didnā€™t.

Varies a little on the particular model of tracker, too.

I donā€™t think these devices monitor stride length, do they? I believe they usually calculate distance travelled based on the height entered in the profile associated with the device.

As for the rest of this threadā€¦

2 Likes

I use a phone ap, but it uses vertical bumps from your stride and looks at your speed to decide if youā€™re in a car or walking, so it doesnā€™t log steps on drives. Which kinds sucks, because that means it doesnā€™t work well on bike rides. So I was in the market and researching when I hit this article.

You mean the same police who let an 70 year old + guy who was not an officer ride around with them who ā€œaccidentallyā€ shot an unarmed black man ? Or the same police with a member who was active on a cannibalism forum post very detailed accounts of kidnapping then roasting women ? Or the same police, who while investigating the gang rape of a 12 year old girl by over 20 men in Texas, who recorded this as it was happening - made public statements about the victimā€™s ā€œmatureā€ appearance and manner of dress ? The police who let hundreds of thousands rape kits rot in warehouses with no climate control or even proper cataloguing ?

Those smart police ?

8 Likes

way to cherry pick your data. those have nothing to do with the case at hand.

Police get police training to be police. Police do not get training to be scientists, social workers or psychiatrists. They also do not seem to get critical thinking education. Let us not forget the amazing police work of the Ferguson police.

The rate of domestic violence within the homes of law enforcement personnel is approximately 100% higher than the general public. You think a bunch of misogynist abusers are the best people for women to make a public statement to (ie reporting, attempting to press charges) that they have been sexually assaulted ?

5 Likes

That soundsā€¦familiar. Letā€™s see, which one is itā€¦

2 Likes

This.
Stranger-danger is extremely rare. Its almost always someone known to the victim.
And as we know, there is no way to act correctly after an assault; cry too much and the victim is milking it, donā€™t cry and youā€™re not emotional enough, shower or pace around not sure what to do or where to go and exactly what the hell just happened, and your fitbit will be used against you because you did not immediately run for help. Sexual assault victims are damned if they damned if they donā€™t and every damn person in the world has an opinion on how they should act, its a freaking nightmare.

8 Likes

I fail to see which square or squares ā€œPeople should not be punished until they are convictedā€ and ā€œpeople should not be convicted based on say-soā€ fall into.

And youā€™re trying to put me in a pigeonhole, falsely (as I said you would), so you can argue against ā€œMRAs,ā€ one of which Iā€™ve never been a day in my life, and tar me with their karma, and itā€™s not very productive.

Can you demonstrate to me why, on a legal level - not a level of ā€œdonā€™t be a jerk to peopleā€ but on a level of evidence gathering why facts should not be checked before you put someone in an american prison for any reason?

Should that process begin with an assumption of good faith on the part of the reporter? Sure. If a fact discovered by investigation calls that into question, what then? How long should the process accomodate the accuser?

3 Likes

Characterizing that response as an MRA screed undermines your cred quite a bit. Which box do you think is appropriate?

Many injustices go unpunished. Lack of evidence sufficient to convince a jury is but one reason. Yet, our system and widely accepted concepts of societal level justice embrace the principle of presumption of innocence.

1 Like

Where did I say that facts should not be checked before putting someone in an american prison for any reason?

Whoā€™s the pigeonholer here again?

Think harderā€¦you can do itā€¦

1 Like

I agree, totally. I donā€™t know what to do about it with out handing more power to those same skeptical, unsympathetic, damaged parties, though.

For one thing, you canā€™t really write a gendered law. Or a law with much consideration of privilege. So in the quest for reform, we canā€™t hand power to those who need to be the target of reform.

Iā€™ve got no issue with things like affirmative consent, or with the reform of training for LEOs, but I frankly do not understand the expectation if an investigator discovers physical evidence that contravenes an accusation.

I truly donā€™t understand how you got from what I posted to how you responded. I canā€™t begin to do that work for you. Iā€™m sorry if Iā€™m missing something in the online crosstalk, I donā€™t think weā€™re actually that far apart.

Its a mess, and victims accounts of the crime often donā€™t make sense, and investigators are not sympathetic and donā€™t ask the right questions, its truly a frakking mess.

I have no answer, I am just heart broken that this woman is going to become the poster-girl of the kind of people that doubt sex assault statistics.

5 Likes

I agree, and higher in the thread, I gave my personal read on what I think is likely really going on. (itā€™s not ā€œSheā€™s a jerk who made it up like jerks doā€)

I think her active prosecution for ā€œfiling a false reportā€ is likely an over-reach even if the charges canā€™t be substantiated and I agree that it could have chilling effects on the next person to decide if they can report.

2 Likes

And here I thought that it was the snow in Florida angle. :slight_smile:

Cuz we needed more victims to decide not to press chargesā€¦ /sigh