Woman who abused servant loses appeal to keep mansion

[Permalink]

George’s appeals attorney, Mark Baker, is working on a way allow her to keep the property.

And likely costing more than treating the maid like a human being would have cost.

6 Likes

This article is so lacking in information. Why are they taking her home? Shouldn’t she be going to jail or paying fines… so confusing…

Also, ya’ll should probably link to a regular (non-mobile) version of the site.

4 Likes

There’s some more information in an older article. It sounds like George’s husband initially brought the immigrant over, but when he died in 2009 (leaving behind “six hotels, all in foreclosure or bankrupt and in poor condition”) the wife just kept things going.

Sounds like it was a bad situation all around, and it’s crazy that it fell apart over an immigration issue rather than something else.

1 Like

From the Huffington Post

U.S. District Judge Gary Sharpe also ordered George to forfeit the 20,000-square-foot mansion as a financial penalty. He imposed a harsher sentence on the 41-year-old woman than either defense or prosecutors requested because she lied in her trial testimony, he said.

Authorities estimated the mansion’s value at $1.9 million and his client owns about 10 percent, Sacco said.

Consider it a $190,000 fine. Apparently, she doesn’t have 190,000 dollars in any form more liquid than Llenroc, so there you go.

I’m more interested in the fact that she was convicted of “harboring an illegal immigrant” while she apparently escaped punishment for enslavement, labor violations, and so on.

1 Like

That isn’t a picture of Llenroc Mansion, that’s the Delta Phi fraternity house at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, in the building called Llenroc (Cornell spelled backwards).

3 Likes

A-fucking men. Looks atrocious on a real computer.

2 Likes

Yeah, the house in question was built to copy some of the architectural features of the original

but it strikes me as having none of the charm.

1 Like

So the court confiscates George’s home in the criminal case, making it impossible for Mathai to collect damages in a civil suit? Unless I’m misunderstanding, that means Mathai is pretty much out of luck, although INS will probably give her a free plane ticket.

I say invoke the thirteeth amendment and sentence her to five years of involuntary servitude.

Thirteenth Amendment - U.S. Constitution
Thirteenth Amendment - Slavery And Involuntary Servitude

Amendment Text | Annotations
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.