Women come together to highlight the "struggles" of men in Hollywood

[Permalink]

Coming soon to this discussion:

• Statements about comparative value and ability ie “If women wrote/directed/produced movies as well as men, more of them would be represented”

• Statements about bootstraps: “Mr. So and So the director made his first film for only this small amount of money but he was able to get funding and investors for his next film and now he makes blockbusters. If he can do, anyone can do it. Those women just aren’t trying.”

• Statements about how women’s writing and directing styles are just “different” and don’t appeal to men.

• Statements lamenting how if women were more represented within Hollywood - as directors, writers, editors, cinematographers, and protagonists in films - that there would be so many “men’s stories” that would be lost, rejected, or ignored and never see the light of day.

• Statements about how movies made about women’s lives are not interesting or appealing to a male audience, therefore these films should not get made.

• Statements made about how film today glorifies women because X actress is beautiful and her supporting role where she was nude/wore a bikini/wore a scanty costume was monumental.

BB - don’t disappoint me !

11 Likes

I’m just gonna go with “Finally, women who understand the problem!”

2 Likes

Maybe women are just hardwired to not have the skills of making Hollywood films and they should just gracefully accept that fact?

Stop fretting. They have much more emotional intelligence instead, after all.

3 Likes

That’s hysterical!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Hollywood and “major studio films” are dismally poor. Anybody concerned with their lack of success there is better off making there own scene elsewhere. It’s an incestuous, creatively-bankrupt network which no self-respecting person should find themselves in.

Women should have just as much opportunity as men to chase money and fame; make lowest-common denominator garbage; and re-hash old “safe” properties and formulas over and over.

Don’t forget

• Statements about how a small number of successful outliers prove that there really isn’t a problem
3 Likes

Sounds like a lemming race to me. I’d rather get the men to stop doing it, rather than have women join them. No good becomes of it. Hollywood is anathema to movies. I dislike that people protest to join the worst elements of society when they are already doing better on their own.

Gosh, this works for all kinds of settings where women face institutionalized discrimination!

• “Government is dismally corrupt. Anybody concerned with their lack of success there is better off impacting the world elsewhere.”

• “Wall Street is a soulless greed-driven institution. Anybody concerned with their lack of success there is better off making their own scene elsewhere.”

• “Modern academia is a dismal, close-minded artifact. Anybody concerned with their lack of success there is better off making their own scene elsewhere.”

Really, we’re basically doing women a favor by keeping them out.

2 Likes

There is no sexist basis to it, but yes, every group of people are better off making their own scene wherever they are rather than sucking up to exploiters. Monoculture needs to die, but meanwhile, divers groups seem to think that being assimilated into it does people a favor - when in reality these groups have more freedom and more success NOW.

People absolutely should be making their own governments, economies, schools, etc. That’s the whole point.

when in reality these groups have more freedom and more success NOW.

That’s a pretty narrow interpretation of freedom and success. Some people might be able to make that work. But for many, “monoculture” also MONOpolizes opportunity. Financial opportunity, educational opportunity, etc.

The standards of each group and individual are more narrow than doing it only one possible way? This sounds quite unintuitive to me.

The way I interpret it, opportunity is what one actually does, not what is offered by others. If you would only be recognized and paid in compensation for who you are and what you do, then that “capital” is yours anyway. Outsiders are more likely trying to siphon it off it than altruistically help grow it for you. Negotiate your terms with others as an equal, and if they refuse, don’t deal with them. Otherwise you are giving them power over you.

The way I interpret it, opportunity is what one actually does, not what is offered by others.

This seems incredibly idealistic to me. And I consider myself somewhat of an idealist. :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.