Xeni chats with All In's Chris Hayes about appropriation artist Richard Prince's Instagram screenshot art

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I like Xeniā€™s take on this. The way Prince has done his latest ā€œappropriation artā€ feels wrong. The best way to fight him is to make him irrelevant.

The nature of this kind of art takes us out of our comfort zone. I think that has value. But thereā€™s nothing redeeming about it. He makes a ton of money on the art, and the subjects (who did 90% of the work) get no part of that action. At the end of the day, Prince seems more like an exploiter than an artist.

4 Likes

Heā€™s worth $30 million, and will remain relevant as long as other people with similar amounts of money consider what he produces to be potentially profitable - this isnā€™t really art, itā€™s finance. These days heā€™s moved on from stealing - or ā€œre-photographing,ā€ as he chooses to call it - images of the Marlboro Man from print advertisements (arguably saying something about advertising, the construction of American masculinity, blah blah etc.) to stealing from individuals, rather than corporations. If it was my photo, his attorneys would shortly be receiving a contract specifying licensing terms and an invoice for $20,000, due net 30 as a courtesy. To start with.

Then again: who knows whether these things actually sold? ā€œDealers: They lie to you sometimes!ā€

11 Likes

Liked! Especially because of that last line.

One one level I agreeā€¦because I donā€™t care this type of art works.

But on another level it reeks of ageismā€¦with Xeniā€™s major complaint boiling down to ā€œHeā€™s an old guy and doesnā€™t understand social mediaā€. and ā€œhe was good in the 70ā€™sā€¦now heā€™s worthless and oldā€.

If it was a younger person like say. Charles Lutz that copies Andy Warholā€¦itā€™s high artā€¦because itā€™s new and the artist young. http://charleslutz.com/Paintings/WarholDenied

The major sin it seems is being OLD PERSON that doesnā€™t keep up with hip socail mediaā€¦and is now worthless.

The fact the guy actually did appropriate the art from social media and scribbled his own piss on it and sold itā€¦is in fact the very basic of appropriation artworks.

I also think he does understand social mediaā€¦and putting appropriated media from instagram and scribbling on the ā€˜wallā€™ his comments etcā€¦is a very much the essence of social media.

1 Like

If only he could be disenvowelled.

No, I think the point is that itā€™s not good art. Yes he happens to be old, which is why this comparison (your dad, rapping badly) is apt. If he wasnā€™t old/a man, a different comparison would be made (your privileged self entitled rich white sorority cousin from the suburban midwest, rapping badly, for example) to illustrate how bad and embarassing and exploitative his art is.

1 Like

Yesterday on Reddit, a woman associated with Suicide Girls whose own pictures were used in this manner fought back in what I found to be perfect. She is selling the same pictures for 90 bucks. Just cut the market out from under him.

1 Like

While I appreciate this analogy was trying to be as universal as possible, a more accurate analogy would be, ā€œits like watching @OtherMichael and @japhroaig do their NWA dance routineā€.

(Hey, when is our next practice session?)

Tuesday night at 7pm, EST. Donā€™t forget your parachute pants!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.