I want to wake up in that city
That doesnā€™t sleep
And find Iā€™m king of the hill
Top of the heap

etc etc etc

If I can make it there
You know, Iā€™m gonna make it just about anywhere

3 Likes

Hmm, get them some suits, a lawyer, and a Delaware corporation that mysteriously books all its revenue through an uninhabited office in Bermuda, and suddenly a couple of thugs become ā€˜Content Providersā€™ employing an innovative conditional access module to monetize access to premium content.

Do you think they need an analytics provider?

16 Likes

By the way - Iā€™ve already got some people in place - weā€™re going to lift that section of wall and auction it here in London.

1 Like

Is there any doubt that this and the painted-over stencil are part of the act?

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the kicker: that guy is Banksy.

13 Likes

Ahemā€¦ doncha think ya oughta preface yer remarks by saying ā€œSpoiler Alert?ā€ Me and the missus already put down a deposit on the forthcoming HBO documentary and here ya go, demonetizing dat shit and givinā€™ away the ending. Dasm! You people who think Art should be free have never had the privilege of paying for it. Dasm!

1 Like

deface all banksy. Hipster bullshit.

1 Like

If not, fuck that asshole.

As an artist, Iā€™m so tired of people who donā€™t ā€œgive a fuck aboutā€ my art unless it can make money for them. Also, the ones who will only buy a piece if youā€™ll come over and clean out their garage for them or something similar, as if what I do isnā€™t really work.

As much as the real estate business sucks, bless the agents who love to rent art from independent artists to put on the walls when theyā€™re showing property.

4 Likes

I was going to say this guy was hired/set up by Banksy, but I like your idea more.

1 Like

It sounds like youā€™re saying people should value art (or any other workproduct) simply because of how much work/time it took to create it.

The man, the stencil, the street, the argument, the spectators. . .
All of it is THE art. The video is the art. No need to see more. You got the shot.
Move on.
Thatā€™s what iā€™m talkin bout.

2 Likes

I think your comment was the art too.

2 Likes

One would have to ask why you are here?

2 Likes

The lesson of Banksy is everything can be commodified, even when you go out of your way to make something uncommodifiable. From feudalism to consumer capitalism, to the neo-feudalism of today, art will remain forever in the service of the super rich.

In contrast, the trollish entrepreneurship of these gentlemen is rather refreshing. I hope to see them making their own Banksyā€™s shortly.

1 Like

The threat of violence against the stencil is what angers meā€¦

Allow me, if your will, to misquote a lyric:
ā€œTwenty dollars to see a stencilled wall, thatā€™s just some ignorant bitch shit
I call that getting swindled and pimped, shit
I call that getting tricked by your inner hipsterā€

1 Like

The failure to follow thru is what displeases me

Not exactly.

There are different kinds of value tied up in a work of art, both intrinsic and labor. Too many people recognize the value of a piece from rarity caused by a limited supply chain, but not enough recognize how much labor, and often contemplation, comprises that piece.
One should also consider the risk involved in making graffiti in public spaces, especially if itā€™s not sanctioned by the city ā€“ fines, jail time perhaps? For Banksy even, the risk of losing his anonymity (I donā€™t know if heā€™s actually been exposed yet or not).

So yeah, fuck the people who would commandeer the art that was meant to be seen by the public ā€“ much less threaten to destroy it.

The biggest insult I get from people these days is when they suggest I get a ā€œrealā€ job. Hell, half the jobs that drive American markets today have nothing whatsoever to do with necessity, and everything to do with getting paid, so why is art not work?

To each her own. I think his work is generally brilliant.

2 Likes