Yahoo beefs up security in two meaningful and important ways

[Permalink]

This pales in comparison to their ongoing user security initiative of not having any users.

5 Likes

Or just closing down all their services, which seems to be their current method of operation.

3 Likes

You know, if you’d have told me 2 years ago … I’d see Yahoo of all companies give me a reason to create a mail account with them …

… I just flat-out wouldn’t have believed you.

2 Likes

It’s a good start.

“It’s important to note that all these uses of encryption protect only communications in transit between a user and Yahoo’s servers, or within different parts of Yahoo’s own infrastructure. That means it doesn’t in any way change Yahoo’s ability to turn over user data in response to government requests.”

1 Like

If you build it right, they will come.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that we’ve seen what happens when email providers try to get around this, and it’s not pretty. The lavabit closure pretty much shows that trying to get around this is just not going to work and will result in worse actions being taken - and until the laws are changed, it is unlikely to work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.