Young adults want quality of life

My comment was specific to Long Island - none of my other friends moved back in with parents.

If that still includes you, then there’s nothing else I can add. The odds of your kids being able to live near their parents on Long Island but independently are very low for the vast majority of careers.

Came through a few years ago- Stayed overnight at a friend’s place in an absolutely beautiful neighborhood full of gardens and great mid-century architecture. On the way out, my GPS took me through a neighborhood that literally looked like a third world warzone.

Bloomberg is financial news. It’s not like economists ever learned how to draw a graph in high school.

FFS they put the dependent variable on the X axis. You know they have no idea what they’re talking about with those kinds of “strong quantitative roots”.

H1B’s can be awful too. I spent years trying to get a job out of college in the field of my degree. All the local openings had insane requirements for things that couldn’t possibly be fulfilled. For instance “10 years of experience with Ruby on Rails”, or “5 years programming MS .NET 4” (in 2010, when it was less than even a year old).

It turns out all these job openings were formulated by the sociopaths in HR, who would email exactly what to say on the application to H1B candidates, post the job, then when no American could meet the requirements claim to the government that no Americans could fill the job, so they could justify an H1B visa. Then they’d hire and bring in the H1Bs and pay them about 70% of what an American would earn.

Happens all the time in Silicon Valley and Seattle.

2 Likes

We are hoping to move to the DC area while she is in college. We have elderly parents that need tending to, and if the kid boomerangs it’s a better market for her.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.