1 Timothy 6:10 "The love of money is the root of all evil" Should Literally Actually Read "The love of capital is the root of all evil"

You’re in luck -

Create the page “The diggers” on this wiki!

Amusingly The Levellers do get an entry - the band that is. It mentions that they are named after the political movement. Which also appears not to have a page…

They do have a page on Anarchism. They can’t seem to make up their minds about it (which is heartening, I suppose).

https://www.conservapedia.com/Anarchism

They have one paragpraph on Christian Anarchism which basically just says that some anarchists were Christians

1 Like

I don’t think Tolstoy would be happy with Conservapedia, considering his interpretation of the Bible.

1 Like

Hair-splitting which misses the point. Looking at the entire text, it is merely the sentence that stays with us in a message that rails against materialism, and tries to encourage more compassion. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

And conservatives are all too wrapped up in fighting tooth and nail against anything that would get them out of the rut they are in, so arguing stuff like this with them is not nearly as effective as treating them as, well, as something icky. (I’m now playing with how conservatives are easily disgusted, more easily squicked out according to recent research)

1 Like

I think they have been doing it for a while. I almost believe that there is an American Conservative Newspeak Dictionary out there.

2 Likes

And sometimes they just added shit.

Jesus and the woman taken in adultery isn’t found in the earliest sources we have.

1 Like

The Greek word in that verse is φιλαργυρία, philarguria. The first part, phil-, is where the “love of” comes from, you’ll recognize it from words like “philosophy” (love of wisdom). The second part is -arguria. That’s derived from the word ἀργύριον, argurion, which is a piece of silver or a silver coin, and was also used to refer to a collective sum of money - that is, cash.

Philarguria only shows up once in the New Testament. It’s not terribly common, used maybe 80 times in extant Greek literature by folks like Polybius, Plutarch, and Aristotle (though, like Paul, he only used it once). In context, it always appears in the discussion of undesirable traits, or a lack of virtue on the part of individuals or society. Argurion, on the other hand, is common - hundreds of instances, all referring to individual coins, sums of money, or more colloquially, “silver” (as in a bag of the stuff).

So it’s not a matter of a single word being mistranslated as “money” instead of “capital.” The word philarguria literally means “the love of silver coins,” and was used metaphorically to decry avarice - that is, extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.