Religious scholar says serial liar Madison Cawthorn needs to go back to Bible study

Originally published at: Religious scholar says serial liar Madison Cawthorn needs to go back to Bible study | Boing Boing

6 Likes

If Gilead comes to pass as the Xtianists wish, stupidity and ignorance like Cawthorn’s will be no impediment to achieving a position of power – quite the opposite, in fact.

17 Likes

Religious scholar says NAZI Madison Cawthorn needs to go back to Bible study

FTFY. Seriously, this dude is one of THE most dangerous little pricks currently on the scene. Fuck him and the wheels he rolled in on.

22 Likes

Cawthorn seems like an asshole, but the fact is the Old Testament is still part of Christianity. People who like to quote mine Jesus to make it look like the religion is all smiles and love are ignoring the nastier bits of the mythology.

5 Likes

“Cawthorn is every high school drama teacher’s worst nightmare. He’s every high school girl’s worst nightmare. Hell, the list is too long. Let’s just say he’s everyone’s worst nightmare.”

14 Likes

How you interpret that depends on who you ask

8 Likes

Cawthorn’s second act [whatever that will be] should be interesting, but hawking religion should not be one of them.

4 Likes

But the old testament is the old covenant, with the Jews. The new testament is the new covenant after Jesus. The old testament is there to give the background and give the evidence for Jesus’ legitimacy as the messiah. But the same people who love to quote Leviticus about homosexuality somehow understand that the rules about keeping kosher, not wearing two types of cloth together, no tattoos, etc. don’t apply to them but they don’t understand why.

And if you bring up the old covenant vs new covenant with any of these bastards they have no idea what you’re talking about since, at least from my husbands upbringing, the only book they actually teach about in Baptist church is Revelations.

22 Likes

Nor do they understand “covenant of grace” vs. “covenant of works” nor any of the other fundamental things that define Protestant Christianity. Also, Revelation. No -s.

14 Likes

I’m no Bible scholar, but from the bits I’ve read over the years the Old Testament really doesn’t jibe with the four canonical gospels (which are supposedly Christ’s actual teachings as recorded/remembered/taught by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and/or their followers), and the writings of Paul (a.k.a. Saul of Damascus) and the Revelation to John of Patmos are also separate entities themselves.

The brutal truth is that all of the Bible is a mish-mashed collection of scribblings that are impossible to verify and mostly based on oral traditions eventually committed to paper. If you’re really going to be scholarly about it you have to take it all with a pillar of salt.

11 Likes

Any Christian who paid attention during confirmation classes knows that the Old Testament are the stories leading up to Christ, and the new Covenant created by Christ supersedes the old laws. It is why Christians don’t adhere to Jewish customs, and forged their own. (With a few minor sects who do try to combine both.)

So, yeah, anyone using the Old Testament as a guide to how things should be run in government, is completely ignoring the message of Christ.

Cawthorn is a complete goon.

11 Likes

Most scholars are. It’s just that a vocal group of people are shouting about Bible literalism when that is a really bad take on the Bible. Jesus taught by allegory, for fucks sake. It’s not like he invented the idea (Or maybe he did, by a certain interpretation of God the Son).

9 Likes

Why do I suddenly have an urge to rewatch the classic film noir, Kiss of Death?

5 Likes

Biblical Literalism is complete and utter bullshit in concept and in practice.

All it means is one justifies sociopathic behavior towards others by quotemining Biblical passages. It is not a theology or philosophy beyond fascist impulses to harm others and aggrandize one’s self. To act in a hateful manner and expect no social consequences for doing so.

Of course serious religious scholars take issue with such beliefs. It is nothing more than saying, “God says, I can be an asshole to you”.

19 Likes

My Youtube recommendations recently suggested this series to me, about who wrote the Bible and when.

7 Likes

His next gig will be on some christian cable network selling 5 gallon buckets of pork & beans, to keep true believers fed during the end times.

9 Likes

Its the Christian 2-step.

Old Testament only applies to people a Christian doesn’t like or wants to attack, never themselves. New Testament only applies to themselves and nobody else.

7 Likes

Different Christians can interpret different parts of the bible differently of course, and I guess if he want’s to advocate that the bible endorses a brutal theocracy defined by murder, rape, and genocide I think that isn’t supported by the gospel and most Christian leaders and theologians would agree. But who am I to say – I also think it is all nonsense anyway. Regardless, if that is what he is advocating for let’s be straight with it and not get too hung up on the theological status of some books from thousands of years ago that – and I cannot stress this enough – are not part of the laws of the united states?

4 Likes

Cawthorn. Boebert. Greene. Gaetz.

These are all people who got elected with no idea of how legislation is drafted, and no intention of doing so anyway. For them, it’s all culture war outrage, soundbites, those sweet sweet campaign contributions, and an eventual lucrative Fox News gig.

They’re far from the first; but they’re the most obvious. And this trend will pick up steam.

19 Likes

Or not, if we can get congress to pass meaningful election reform.

Come to think of it, the FCC needs to reinstate the fairness doctrine and include social media, too. That might help.

9 Likes