Missouri pastor on upcoming book-burning: "If God told me to burn the book Clifford the Big Red Dog, then I'd burn the book Clifford the Big Red Dog"

Originally published at: Missouri pastor on upcoming book-burning: "If God told me to burn the book Clifford the Big Red Dog, then I'd burn the book Clifford the Big Red Dog" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Protip: If you’re hearing voices in your head telling you to burn Clifford the Big Red Dog then it’s probably not God who is talking to you. (Well, not Jehovah anyway. I guess I could see Bastet doing that.)

38 Likes

If God lays it on your heart to burn, you can burn

Ummm,

Try it. you’ll like it!

31 Likes

What if God told you to burn your Bible?

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

29 Likes

How does he feel about burning the Bible?

9 Likes

For when regular strength Just Following Orders isn’t good enough to justify your atrocities, you gotta reach for the new and improved Just Following the Direct Word of God!

15 Likes

Unless god tells you specifically not to burn Clifford the Big Red Dog, it’s probly best to just burn it anyway. Better safe than sorry an’ all…

FFS!

12 Likes

My god tells me to burn preachers who burn books.

18 Likes

12 Likes

Something tells me that “God hates dogs” isn’t going to be quite as popular as a slogan.

16 Likes

Yeah, unless God is willing to come down here and justify it to the rest of us in person, we’re not gonna be okay with taking your word for it. You Nazi.

19 Likes

Given his track record, burning a book is one of the least objectionable things his god has demanded - at least it doesn’t involve killing your own kid, for example…

Not me - she’s a lover of the arts, even if they involve dogs.

13 Likes

Just don’t burn the grammar books, because it appears you could get some good use from them.

9 Likes

Do you want Donald “Trashcan Man” Elbert? Because that’s how you get Donald “Trashcan Man” Elbert.

Trashyyyy

11 Likes

The Clifford books I’m familiar with argue that the big dude won’t respond kindly to such implied threats.

IMG_3554

11 Likes

I wonder where did He get so much flammable material…

11 Likes

Sorry, but all the grammar books mention…pronouns. :unamused:

15 Likes

In “not all Christians” discussions I often think of this post from Wondering who's behind those "Jesus Gets Us" TV ads?:

Not all Christians are fascists, but I do wonder why the ones who aren’t feel they need to stick with a framework that disproportionately enables and rewards superstitious bigots with financial benefits and political clout. There are atheist fascist assholes too, but they tend to remain crackpots on YouTube (or semi-famous authors, at best) rather than holding positions of political power, having their own alternate museums, bookstores, film industry, conversion camps and theme parks, or spreading their odious views to gigantic crowds at megachurches. And it’s not because they’re better people- fascists are fascists, whatever their faith or lack thereof. It’s because Christianity is still treated as the “default” in many places (certainly the USA) and given privilege and respect that it hasn’t earned, which puts bigots and grifters at a huge advantage.

So yes, I don’t have any problems with people practicing whatever faith they want, but also let’s not pretend that Christianity as an institution isn’t being used as a powerful tool for evil right now, with a far broader and more dangerous reach than other groups.

9 Likes

“It was a pleasure to burn.” - Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

8 Likes

Because they don’t accept how the fascists interpret their religious books and interpret them in different ways.

Dawkins is a crackpot on youtube? Charlas Murray is a crackpot on youtube?

And how do you propose to make everyone who is Christian and not a fascist NOT christian?

Same for almost any other major institution you can think of.

11 Likes