Televangelist explains why his private jet is "biblical"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/televangelist-explains-why-his.html

5 Likes

Someone should tell him many of the things in the Bible are supposed to be warnings not examples.

36 Likes

Came here to savour the twisted Xtianist greed, got a bonus serving of anti-Semitism!

45 Likes

Cute, but that’s not my favorite recent story of the hypocritical irony of evangelists’ actions:

Noah’s Ark theme park sues insurance company for rain damage

17 Likes

Jesus would give this guy the finger.

18 Likes

“If I flew commercial, I’d have to stop 65 percent of what I’m doing, that’s the main reason,” he said.

That’s 65% fewer parishioners that he could get to know biblically.

And “old covenant”? I may have missed a couple of Sundays, but when did they change the name of the Old Testament?

17 Likes

“If I flew commercial, I’d have to stop 65 percent of what I’m doing, that’s the main reason,” he said.

Mile high club, Solo Aviators Division.

6 Likes

Then he’d turn the other cheek and flip them off with the other hand too.

6 Likes

“If I flew commercial, I’d have to stop 65% of what I’m doing, that’s the main reason.”

Well, seeing that ripping off parishioners is what he’s doing, that works out to be a positive, doesn’t it?

19 Likes

I don’t see how “the word of god” should cost anybody anything, no matter what religion you believe. Nowhere in the four gospels does Jesus ever ask money of the people listening to him (in fact he fed a multitude of them on one occasion.) And he threw the money changers out of the temple to boot.

If the private jet is needed to spread the word of god, then the cost of that jet could pay several other preachers in his employ that could spread the word more than one man with a jet.

20 Likes

Covenant =/= testament. The Old Testament is just the name used to describe the collection of scriptures derived from the Jewish Torah that Christians include in the Bible. The Old Covenant is an element of the Old Testament, but the Old Testament encompasses much more than the Covenant.

The “Old Covenant” refers to the “Mosaic Covenant” or basically the rule of law as established by God to Moses. It’s very important to Jewish people because for them it’s just the rules, and Christians–at least theoretically–hold onto it to it to provide the necessary context for the things that Jesus said and did. (Though it’s more often used and reinterpreted to exaggerate the scriptural significance of certain rules while completely ignoring others. A very good example would be people using Leviticus to justify certain bigoted beliefs while completely ignoring things like dietary laws that are sitting right there in the same book a few pages away.)

The “New Covenant” is something that Christians believe Jesus established at the Last Supper, and its exact meaning really depends on who you ask, even within a given denomination including highly-structured Christian groups like the Catholic church. The gist, generally speaking, is that Jesus sacrificed himself so that people could be forgiven and allowed into heaven.

What’s really funny about this, of course, is that quite a lot of people whose opinions are better-informed than this guy could argue things like, “Jesus specifically stated this is a new covenant, and that it replaces the Old Covenant” and “according to Mosaic law itself, everything except for 7 of the 10 commandments only applies to Jewish people and not to Gentiles and the vast majority of Christians are Gentiles, so even if it wasn’t completely nullified, those rules never applied to anybody that wasn’t Jewish to begin with.”

27 Likes

Old Covenant = God’s deal with the Israelites. New Covenant = God’s revised deal with humanity in general.

14 Likes

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. It’s an odd choice of word on Pastor Warbucks’ part.

9 Likes

Terms and conditions apply.
Contents may settle in transit.
Illustrations for serving suggestion only.

15 Likes

“Copeland said he was a “very wealthy man” and acknowledged using the private jets to travel to his vacation homes. Guerrero asked how he would respond to those who say preachers shouldn’t live so luxuriously.”

It was so nice; Jesus said it twice. Pack some tropical wear “Reverend”.

" Matthew 19:23

Then Jesus said to his disciples: Amen, I say to you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:24

And again I say to you: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven."

27 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if he erroneously uses the terms interchangeably, something which one in his profession might be deeply embarrassed about if it was brought to their attention. I doubt he gives as much as a quarter of a damn about that, however, he’s got pious vacation properties to get to in order to do his “work” after all.

7 Likes

But he personally has been chosen by God and gifted with the means to preach to those in dire need of God’s word. Not some random folks paid to preach. How could any man preach for pay?

/s only not really. That probably would be his response.

7 Likes

Modern megachurch preachers get a lot of mileage out of the New Covenant. As you say, a great number of them wave away the entire OT by saying it was nullified by Jesus’ sacrifice (and since it’s the Torah anyhow, the NT is all that matters). And since the New Covenant is not very well defined, a charismatic church-leader can tell their congregation that they’re divining it through prayer. Thus: “I need luxury private jets to spread the Word!”

10 Likes

Geez, that creepy fucking smile, though. That shit’s a bit unnerving.

7 Likes

So, like anything else in religion. It’s biblical because some rich, powerful man wants it that way, because it lets him perpetuate his wealth and power. What a waste. The man, and the jet.

7 Likes