Megachurch pastor struggles to defend $200,000 Lamborghini purchase

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/14/megachurch-pastor-struggles-to.html

3 Likes

28 Likes

I hope his wife take some high performance driving courses - otherwise there’s an excellent chance she’ll soon be the former owner of a Lamborghini, and a current ICU patient. Just because the car is capable of going from zero to 62 in 3.5 seconds, doesn’t mean the driver is capable of managing that process.

22 Likes

Joke’s on them. Their membership in the new supercar ownership club is not worth the paper it’s printed on.

Lamborghini’s are manufactured by the Germans now.

/only kinda joking

3 Likes

I should start a religion. The Church of Paying off my Debts. What do you get out of it? Satisfaction.

24 Likes

Can you afford a $200,000 car? If yes, God thinks you are A-OK! If no, then God thinks you stink.
This is Christianity now.

35 Likes

Oooh! We really caught them out in their hypocrisy! Let’s all give ourselves pats on the back and exchange smugly superior grins, and ignore the fact that they rule the lives (and politics) of tens of thousands of people and are fabulously wealthy, while most us is struggle with our mortgages and no one gives a shit what we think.

And it’s not hurting their ministry because it’s not actually hypocrisy: this is exactly what their religion is about. All this means for them is an opportunity for more free publicity.

3 Likes

Being manufactured by Germans is a bad thing? I get that it may be love/passion deficient, but it might go more than 10 kilometers before something breaks for a change. Maybe the A/C will even work, who knows?

8 Likes

Somehow don’t think these people are proper Christians. Checking…

he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

And all that believed were together, and had all things common; and sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men , as every man had need.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Yep, thought so. Dude is definitely not Christian.

29 Likes

… and Lamborghinis are a grave offence against humanity too.

7 Likes

Can I get in with you on that? Maybe we can structure it. Each member tithes (10% of your income to the church.) But that tithe goes to whoever brought you in to the fold. That way the gifts rise up through all members and the prosperity compounds as the church grows. We can call it: The Church of the Holy Pyramid.

Your spiritual investment for a guaranteed 50% in growth every year!

I mean, I’m offering the parishioners a lot more than any of the other guys.

12 Likes

I think I found the worst critique of all.

24 Likes

I will never be wealthy enough to afford a supercar.

But I gathered the unreliability and cost of maintenance and repair was an important part of the status symbol?

3 Likes

“Jesus, take the wheel.”

19 Likes

Just trying to keep up with the Joneses.
And failing.

11 Likes

Yea, but can it pass through the eye of a needle?

At least the private jets might conceivably have some sort of functionality in some bizarre alternate dimension. But it’s pretty hard to make a case for needing to go zero-to-62-mph in 3.6 seconds .

Previously:

6 Likes

64aa342cfd0c7579778adf80bef14ec7

38 Likes

was disappointed. Came for this. Didn’t find it.

23 Likes

There is no effective defense for the purchase of a Lamborghini SUV.

It’s worse than buying one of those hideous four door Porsches.

17 Likes

It’s for running from the FBI when the IRS finally realizes these “churches” are just a giant tax evasion scheme.

10 Likes