10 cooking gadgets that belong in any kitchen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/08/10-cooking-gadgets-that-belong.html

The Meat Claws are cool, but I just hire Wolverine. Dude is looking for work these days.

Some of these things look kinda nifty, actually.

9 Likes

I suspect that many kitchens are not large enough to fit all these gadgets that belong in any kitchen.

And as to sous-vide, I recommend reading this.

3 Likes

I disagree with that article. I sous vide quite a bit, and I find it very useful. I don’t think I’m sacrificing flavor at all, though in some cases (steak au poivre, for instance) additional techniques are required. For pork, I wouldn’t cook any other way (well, except smoker). As to the cost, it’s really not that expensive; the device is $100 for a good one, and the rest of the kit costs about $50. I reuse my bags so cost per cook is probably around $0.15. Well worth it to guarantee a good cut of meat will turn out perfectly, especially when cooking for large groups.

7 Likes

Please don’t show Alton Brown this list. I love the guy, and really don’t want his cranium to explode.

7 Likes

3 Likes

X-All-The-Y_phixr

10 Likes

We’ve got fish here, fast and easy and ready to pour,mmm-mmm! Super Bass-o-Matic ’76 comes with ten interchangeable rotors, a nine-month guarantee, and a booklet: 1,001 Ways to Harness Bass. Super Bass-o-Matic ’76 works great on sunfish, perch, sole, and other small aquatic creatures.

11 Likes

Boing Boing: Brass Knuckles are now legal in Texas - which many users find to be a dangerous tool that will lead to more violent attacks.

Also Boing Boing:

BUY THESE MOTHER FUCKING MEAT CLAWS!!!

12 Likes

I bought these Damasukasu knives. They are fake. They’re stainless steel not carbon steel, they’re made in China not Japan, and the ripple patterns are laser-etched rather than resulting from hammered layers of steel.

19 Likes

Let me just drop this electronic gadget from BBStore in the turbulent water to see if it is boiling… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So, uhm, no, at higher altitudes this alarm will never go off, because water boils below 212 degrees at higher altitudes.

15 Likes

Two hour french toast. Rated at 97% for “speed”.

7 Likes
1 Like

The description in the link says “stain- and rust-resistant”, another way of saying stainless. That’s not necessarily bad, but it tells us nothing.

The “Damascus” pattern is etched, as you say, and not a result of the cooling process. It’s purely cosmetic

“Damasukasu” looks like a Japanese or pseudo-Japanese rendering of “Damascus”.

3 Likes

I see a lot of Unitaskers and speciality items.

The only essential unitasker/specialty kitchen tool is a fire extinguisher.

4 Likes

Whenever I see these advertised my first thought is, “you need claws to shred meat? What in gods’ names did you do to cook it so badly?!”

8 Likes

OMG I totally missed that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

And a pastry blender/cutter. A good pastry cutter is essential.

1 Like

The only thing I ever used my pastry cutter for was making tortillas, but it saved so much time and energy cutting the lard into to masa… In fact the only reason I bought a pastry cutter was to make tortillas.

I usually use forks for shredding pulled pork, but those might do the job.

2 Likes