Alton Brown hates your dumb kitchen gadgets

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Every goddamned time!

17 Likes

I love Alton Brown. I wish Good Eats was still running but I understand why he ended it. I once wrote, “There are no unitaskers in my kitchen.” on an OKCupid profile and I was really disappointed that no one picked up on that even a little bit.

14 Likes

I would love the rollie if it reliably did its cycle in five or even ten minutes. But since it’s a piece of crap…

I probably will stick with the miniature egg pan that’s easier to wash, and is small enough that it heats up practically instantly. Smaller pan, more efficient.

The only dumb kitchen gadget I have is Kitchen Saber™.

14 Likes

Those crapgadgets look like great potential sabotages for an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen.

3 Likes

Alton said that the breakfast sandwich thingee was a CK sabotage. I’m not sure if that’s true, but if it’s not, it should be.

1 Like

You mean like that sandwich press, that he actually said WAS a sabotage from cutthroat kitchen?

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember that now. If I recall someone had to use it as their sole cooking vessel (and from what I remember they did a pretty good job). I don’t remember the specific challenge though.

You wash them.

I have the wolf claws. They were a gift. If you’re pulling 1 or 2 pork shoulders, they are great.

Much less finger cramps than a couple forks.

One of the only unitasking devices I own, but I use them a couple times a month, and they don’t take up very much space in my drawer full of non-stick skewers, extra grill tools and bamboo utensils.

5 Likes

Here’s a good one. Smart, even.

10 Likes

My turkey lifters only get used once or twice a year, but when I need them, I’m really glad I’ve got them.

4 Likes

The claws get a pass IMO, as they actually work, are cheap, don’t take up a lot of room, and won’t break. I’d still love to see them on CK as the only cutting tool though. The sandwich maker has definitely been on there, and something similar to the egg cooker was too.

2 Likes

I have one of those. They rock. I love it. Heard about it here on bb. They should sell them at the bb store instead of all the useless crap they’re foisting.

6 Likes

What is it?

It’s an Aeropress coffee maker

Cory loves those things.

7 Likes

Alrighty, thanks. Heard about, read about it, couldn’t identify it when disassembled into is constituent parts :confused:

2 Likes

It’s better explained as video.

4 Likes

That, my friend, is a very sensual demonstration. And I thank you for it.

4 Likes