10% of Americans have 10 or more alcoholic drinks every day

I once ran across a translation of Diocletian’s edict which gave the prices of wine per “Roman pint,” but of course there was no Roman pint, so I had to figure out what unit they could mean, and it doesn’t help that there’s such variation between contemporary pints… headdesk … I also ran across different prices in different translations, so there are probably textual issues and uncertainties.

1 Like

The shape of the curve doesn’t surprise me that much, but the numbers seem high.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/80/20_rule#undefined

I guess, with a fudge factor of 1.97 (which is also what I’ve heard doctors do when they ask you how much you drink) it starts to look more plausible.

It’s a rite of passage. That’s why Humbabella can use canoe sex as a metaphor for a profoundly disappointing experience. Because of the canoe, not the Canadian. (“Damn, thwarted again”).

2 Likes

1 before breakfast, 3 between breakfast and lunch, 3 between lunch and dinner, 3 after dinner.

Their pints are smaller but their ounces are bigger. You just have to know how to order.

1 Like

It’s, uh… 10 or 100, right?

That’s true. But it’s also a euphemism for “fucking near water”, a common Canadian description of American beer.

7 Likes

The estimate would be less likely to be accurate for the top and bottom decile, as they’re not a range between two known points (he said, trying to pretend his last maths class wasn’t 26 years ago - bloody hell). But for your own hopes of finally making the gilded top 10% of US drinkers, a nice little wavy line through several known points on a graph ought to let you know whether its glory or failure. Go for it!

I was also going to complain about our wimpy American pints here, but then remembered that the last micro-brewery I went to was pouring imperial pints at US pint prices. I had never seen that before in the US, but hope it catches on.

1 Like

I like that! The crafty boozer. That’s the kind of buzz I’ll happily keep at crimbo, or at a bbq, or on a day off. The evening’s are slim however and when you’re serious about your hobby, time counts.

Why doesn’t the volume of an ‘oz’ vary with the density of the liquid being measured, that’s what I’d like to know.

And why don’t Americans call them fluid ounces?

They do, to distinguish them from ounces (av.), ounces (ap.), and ounces (fluid, Br.). Fluid ounces are a volume measurement, so density makes no difference.

Pro tip: Although the U.S. dry pint at 550.6 ml sounds like a good deal compared to the U.S. liquid pint at 473.2 ml, don’t order a dry pint.

2 Likes

Was it good, cause it looks very interesting. Would it would for an undergrad survey?

#How would you I don’t even.

We could similarly ask why the size of a foot doesn’t change with the price-per-square-foot of the property being measured.

Wͧ̂͗ͯ̿ͭ͌̂ͫ̌͋̉̈͗͛ͦͭ҉̪͎̼̠̹̰́͞ͅh̛̤͉̝̩̙͕͖̻̖͓̦̤̝̱͔ͩ̈́ͨ̅̊ͥ̃̅̑ͥ͘͜y̴̰̟̻̘͎͙̔̌̊̑ͭ͘͢͝͠ ̷̡̣̫͕͉̰̈́̿̓͊͆͒͆̋̾͛́̄ͫ́͢͠d͕̝̼̬͕̰ͮ͑̐̎̊ͮ̈ͯ͗̾͟͝ͅo͛̎ͯ͊̅̽ͮ̋̊͗͌͆̆́͏̹̣̯̦̝͕̼̣͍̘̹̝̻͙͔̣͖͈́e̴̫͙̰̖̣̖̹̜̿̔̋̋͆̃̋ͭ̒͊̑̈̏ͬ͜sͮ̾͆͗̆ͦ̏ͦ̑͏̸̱͔̘͚̹̻̞̬̖̩̙̫͢͢ͅn̍ͤ̈̈́͛̆̎̔̍̔ͮ̇͜͟͡҉҉͍̤̩̱͇̪̭’̷̡̥̝̟̮̺̖̖͍͔̬̐̄̆͒̊ͨ͌ͨͯͪ̋͋ͫ͋̒́ͪͧ͡͝ẗ̪̠̩̭̰̠̥̗͙͕̈́͊̉͋͑̈́̇ͯ͢͝ͅ ̴͈̼͕̮͓̯̪̲͎͍͓̽̀ͫ̿͛ͣ̂ͨ̀͢͞ț̴̵͕̹̟͎͕̜̩̠͖̥̻̟̮̝͉̩̿ͣ̒̌ͦͫ͛ͯͨ̀̕͡ͅͅh̶̴̛̲̤̣͇͈͎̼̜͈͎̝̩̳͇̜̠̱̒̄̈́̑ͨͬ̚͡͠e̴̢̳̙̖̩͈͍͗͌ͬͮ̏̓ͫͫ̊͢ ̼͓̜̳̺̖͔͉͎̖͓̹͍̖̩͍̺̞̤̊̊͗ͨ̓̒̽̔̌ͬ͆̇͒̔̿͗ͧ̐̓̀̕v̡̦͚̗̺̖͎̫͖͚̅͛̌ͣ̀͘͞ͅo̵̡̹̣̥͕̺̫̯͚͙͚̺̜͊̔͆̓̾ͪ̂͊͑͂̾̄ͨ̀͜͢l̴̡̧̦̘͇̹̰͓̝̥͎̤̻̥ͯ̓̂ͥ͆͞u̶͋̒̾̽͑ͬ̋̐ͯͣ̋ͫ̉̆̚҉҉̧͉͙̟̹̭͓̖̱̻̫̹̣m̢͓̹̱̖̭̬̣͚̮̯͕̖̮̭̞̀̒̐͗ͦ̿ͦ͑ͩ̓̆̾̄̚͜͝e͔̙̜̾̌́͊͑̈̽ͦ͘͘͢͞ ̳͇̲̼͓̯̜̟̱̮͙̳̮̦̊̀ͯ̽̒̆̃̿͗͆͛̓ͮ̕͢͟ͅǫ͚͚̭̖͍͔̰͙͚̹̳̳̬͖̦̅͒͑ͪͯ̒̅ͯ̋͐̌ͧͧ̿̈̎̅ͨ̇͢͡f̶͑̓ͯ̄҉͚̞̥̥̖̝͍͓̤̘̦̙ͅ ̿̒̒͂ͦ̕҉̠̳̪͍̱͈̖a̧̧̲̩͉̹̰͑̎̌ͤ̿̓͊͂͐̾̅ͩ̈ͧ͛̒ͨ͜͜nͤ̾̓̐̐ͦ͛̈́̀̆ͤ͛͏̷̢̨̫̮̰̙̞͍̭͈͍̣̞͙͉͠ͅ ̴̢̜̪̱̯ͮ̓̄̇̾͊ͥ̾̽͑͡’̶̧̰̦̱͚͉͔͈̳͕̳̩̞̝̬̘̹̲̉͗̈̄ͪ͒ͧ̀o̧̻̟̯̥̺̝̫̩̱̖̲̗̻̞̥͚̾̅̆̉ͥ͌͒ͨ̀ͫ̎̄͂̚ͅz̢̲̖͉̲̦̗̙̯̼̩͙̫ͨ̔̎͒ͪ̀̎͒͞ͅ’̸̶̸̨̨̩͎̙͇̹̦͈̓͂ͫͪͥ͋̂ͮ̆ͨ̒̾ ̷̘͖̯̝̹̮̗̱̦̤͈͍̦̺͍͕̾̔̾̎͢͡ͅv̷̴̖̻̯͙͎̭̰͚̭̤̤̳͈̳̗̮̲͈̈́̅ͫ̓̍͊̅ͅą̴̣̖̤͙̝̟̤̻̯̙̯̥͌̋͑̊̊͗̆̃̿ͯ̓̎ͩͯ̾ͨ̏͜ŗ̦̙͉̫͖̪͈̻̹̼͛͆̇̓̇͗̃̾́͜͜͞y̷̧̙͇̖̝̹̤̹̤͓͔̩͓̬̠̑͛̈́ͤ͐͐̾̿̍̈́ͫͪ́̏͆́̽ͩ͠ ̵͓̘̹̺͔̬̥̱̞̰̟̙̫͉͚͚̈́̌̽̉͑̏ͥ͗̍͛́͘w̡͆ͣͬ̌͋͗͡҉̟̠̻͓̭ǐ̵͍̮̙̖̟͚̟̗̤̯̙͇̣̹̙͑̍̒̏̈́͂̇̔̎ͩ͂̍̚͘͢͟͠ͅt͚̣̣̫̃̂̐̆̾ͥ̆ͥͮ͊́̈́ͧ͂͜ḩ̡̞̞͙̼̲̰̥̩̳̫̦͓̩͐̽̊͗̆͌̐̔ͨ̄͆́ͭ̐ͯ̀̋́͟ ̵̷̧̥̰̼̠͖̩̗̩̽̾̀͛̌ͭ͋̉͆̌̾̒ͬ͢tͫ̓ͦ͋͛͒ͥ̓̂̓́̋ͩ̔̊͏͕͓̩̞̠͓̥̺̫͚ͅh̡̒͒̋̿̿̉҉̡̻̦͇͇͖͙̤͕̻͚̰̭̮̤̮̯̙̱́͢e̡̮̮͚͖͍̪͍͚͇͇̼̦̮͇̰͔͑̔ͧ̂̆͛̏̇̎̓̓͗͌͋ͣ ̨̝̗̰̞ͨͭ̍͐d̵̹̙̤̺͉̖̠̰̜̞̭̺̫̤̥̎ͣ̔͗̑̃̓͛́͛̈́ͯ̀̀ͅȩ̸̸̨̝̙͖͎̯̲̙̰̍̐ͬ̑͠n̸̢̨͚̫̹͕͋͛ͫ̓͊̊ş̸̸̛ͫ̒̇̿̋̔̌ͬͪ̇̈̅ͤ̋̽̚҉͎͔͓͙̳ͅȉ̇ͨ̉͆̊҉̸̡̝̦̦͓͔̭̜͓̠̞̰͚͈͜͠t̢̨̜̟̟͍̜̯͌ͬ͋͗ͩ͛͒̂͂̇͐̚͠ỷ̈́̐̆̇̂̚҉̸̛͈̗̘͠ ̏̆ͧ̍͐ͣ̿̉̿ͮͪ̄͐ͪ̒͆ͤ͂́͜҉͚̗̟̪͉ọ͉̘̩͇̠̩͍̰̹̖̝̑͋̾̉͛ͦ͊ͭ̍̀̀͜f̷̷̮͔͔͙͙̫͙͚̝̟̯̮̰̰̙̤̠̪̎̀ͥ̿̑ͫͦ͆̍̔̂̇̓͘͢͞ ̴̜͚͙̱̪͉̗̲̻̹̦̞̙̖͇̣̈̽̓̏̓ͭͧ̓̿͒̑ͧ͌ͯͧ̀ͪ͊̆́ţ̛̜̱͕̫͚̬̪͙͇͕̬͓̰̞̺͕̇̇̒͗ͬͤ͒̌̈̅̑̏h̶̩̪̖͍̜͗̊̇̓͗̊̓̒ͥ̉̅̾̾̓̚̕͞͡͞ͅe̾̿̾ͪ̀̾̃͌ͫͭ̋͋̀̾ͮ͐̎͏͜҉̮̲̙̤̮̻̣̗̦͔̤͈͙͍̟͇̙ ̨̛̻͚͕̊̾ͬ͛͂̿̿̇̽̿͋̂̏̃̂̑l͍̦̠̻̝̞̺̳̜̺̺̬̹͒́̇̆͆̓̽͒͊̾ͧ̑̎ͭ̚̚͟͜ͅͅi̹͓͉̳̩̘̔̋̆͊̑̈́ͩ̀̈́̿ͬ͆́̀͢͜͟q̛͖͕̜̣͈̖̲̳͙͖͉͕̺̦͖̝͒͌̄͗̊̈ͣ͒͊̈̀̓́̅̈́̋ͦ́̕ͅuͬ̾͑̈҉̴̵̘̤̘͘͞ȉ̸̸̩̳͓̜̥̩̗͙͖͕̖̤̰̘͗͋̑̍ͤ̽̃͂ͦͮͯ̽ͣͭͯ͡ͅd̶̷̰͕͉̅̇͂ͯ̆ͥͣͬͭ̊̿͋ͣͣͯ͊͝ ̛̻͇̦͓͖͎̼͈̪̥̼̤̙̹̘̟͔̮͑ͦ̂͊ͭ̓̏̃ͧ͊ͩ͜͡b́̏͗ͧͫͬ͞͏̡̪̜̹̱͈͓̥̳̩ẽ͛ͯ̅͊͏̝͚̯̝̭̙̻͔̻̖͎̣͓̯̤̮̫į̶̛̪̟̖͔̺̫̺͔̹̜͉͙̭ͫͣͤͫͧͪ͛̀̅ͮ͒̐͋̉̚͢n̡̥̥̱̬̩͚̤͇̫͕̲͎͔͔̪̈̔ͮͨ̿̎͌̓͌͒͒̈́ͦͬ̇͛͌̓̃͠ͅg̴̮̩͇̭̥̯͍̖͕̪̰̝̜͇͎̠̠̦ͨ̔ͪ͋́͋̐̊͊ͫͤ̓̂ͨ͞ ̧̧̰͙͈̻̞̪̦̲̝̗̫̯̫̘̹̐̑̋̿̂ͮͥ͡m̷̧̡̢̻̮̲̱͍̹̦̳̩̲̳̥̺͚͇̜̻͔̮ͬ̓̀̋̂ͧͫ͑̌͐̐ͣͬ̋͗̍̐̀̚eͧ͒̀ͩͧ͑҉҉̷̛͚̗̻̦̠̜̰̭͕̝̭ą̛͇̝͔̣͕̟͈̙͓̙̖͚͚̪̗ͭͤ̈ͩ̄̒́ͨ͑̄̾̾̉̽ͥ̐ͪ̚̚͘s̢̰̠̖̫͉͇̲͕̺̠̭̝͇͎̙̤̔ͦͥ̋ͩͩ̀̾̂̈́́ͬ͆̒̄ͭ̄͘ͅu̗̞̲͉͍̻̗̻̹̦̔͛̽͋̈́́̕ͅrͯ̿̇ͮ̈́̈́ͦ̃̈́̀̕҉̨̦̫͙̼͟ḙ̵̢̻͖̜̖̳̰̭̥̭̱̩̟̟͉͔͖͍̈͂ͧ͋̽͌̐͋̂̌ͪͥ̅̆͆̂̀́ͅdͩ̈ͫͯͯ̌̅̃̚͝҉͔͍̠͎̜͈̜

2 Likes

I just want an oz of something to weigh an oz, whatever it is. If you want a measure of volume, don’t use a word that is already a measure of mass.

A girl who weighed many an oz.
Used language I dare not pronoz.
For a fellow unkind
Pulled her chair out behind
Just to see (so he said) if she’d boz

1 Like

I bet you’d be single, unemployed, and have a bleak outlook, in fact.

How many pounds does it cost to push a pound at one pound for an hour?

2 Likes

It’s the same 30% who claim they have never masturbated.

7 Likes

What really needs to be studied is why the offspring of these raging drunks end up in middle management, and you know this is true because they practically brag about how Dad drank himself to death.